Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil & filter and followed the directions just like the manual says. started it up revved it a couple of times then continued to add oil til it read full on the dip stick , not screwing it in. Road it yesterday a few times then after it sat for about 45 min. checked it again and it read a little over full..Then after sitting over night I checked it again and it was all the way down to the lower mark on the dipstick. I don't know what reading to go by. When i changed it I kept track of how much I put in til it read full and it was right at about 2 QRTS. So how could it read low??? It's not leaking anywhere and it read full originally. Anyone know how this type of system works. Can there be more oil in the engine sometimes an sometimes less in the engine and more in the oil tank??? Any help or info would be much appreciated :3question:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
You should let it warm up to a good operating tempature, then shut it off and let it sit for a min and read the dipstick. It should be at the full mark at this point. :thumbsup:

If you check after its been sitting very long it should be above the full mark. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
SO you check it immediately after shutting the engine off? I checked mine yesterday. I warmed the engine up, then shut it down, waited like 30 seconds and checked it. It was barely on the dipstick. I waited like a minute or so and checked it again and it read full. I have the owners manual in front of me and it doesn't really say if you should wait a minute or check it right away.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
You should wait a minute or so.

Here is from the service manual :thumbsup:

CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Place the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Start the engine, warm it up until the engine
oil has reached a normal temperature of
60 °C (140 °F), let it continue to idle for ten
seconds, and then turn the engine off.

NOTE:
_
To achieve the proper engine oil temperature
for an accurate oil level reading, the engine
must have first completely cooled down, and
then warmed up again for several minutes to
normal operating temperature.

3. Check:
• engine oil level

Oil level should be between the minimum
level mark a and the maximum level mark
b.

Low oil level → Add oil to the proper level.
NOTE:
_
• Wait a few minutes until the oil settles before
checking the oil level.
• Do not screw the dipstick 1 in when checking
the oil level.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Make absolutely sure it is on level ground. The exact same level surface every time. Also let it heat up the exact same amount of time and cool for the exact same amount of time. This way you take out all variables.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
In this day and age why is checking the oil such a process ?? I totally freaked out when I checked mine the first time and saw a waaaaaaaay over full reading on the dipstick !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

My sincere thanks to Yamaha for over complicating a simple process...... :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.