Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just cleaned my Rappy and getting it ready to go out in a while, so I checked my fluids and the oil is up to the top of the tank! WTF is up with that? Now I just ran it up the road and when I got back I did this, why is there so much oil in there?
I know it was not like that at the dealers as they showed me where and how to check the oil.

CONFUSED!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
It is difficult to get an accurate reading from the dipstick because there are a lot of variables that affect it. Just drain all of the oil from the case and tank into some empty oil containers and you should have 2 qts. all together. If so then your fine just put the oil back in and ride...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bough a 2001 660r and i dont know how much oil is the reckmenied in it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok thank you. :)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Hey Lima I think he is talking about the 700 capacity. If I remember right the 660 take a little less oil! You should check your manual....

·
Registered
403 Posts
I never got a manula with my 660 they never gave me one and i asked for it and never gave me it so i figerued to ask someone about the oil.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Hmmm... I believe you can download a manual from this site! Ask Blue he can get you one for free I bet. If not then I'll dig you one up ;)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed 3/4 of a quart that was over filling the tank. Ran it for a while and checked the level again and it is slightly over the full mark on the stick.
Just done a 35 mile ride with my buddy so I will check the level again tomorrow after I clean it again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have head of gas leaking from injectors into the cylinder with a way too rich fuel curve. but your talkin like its new so i think it is just oil that wasn't forced into the case yet so it needed to settle for longer. usually i check it before i start mine. if i warm it up it either runs out or is fuller than recomended so i just run it any way since i KNOW that there is spec amount of oil max in it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I removed 3/4 of a quart that was over filling the tank. Ran it for a while and checked the level again and it is slightly over the full mark on the stick.
Just done a 35 mile ride with my buddy so I will check the level again tomorrow after I clean it again.
Start your quad with the engine Cold. Let it idle for about 4 min. up to operating temp. do not rev engine. Turn off and check oil. This is the Only Way I've found to get an accurate reading, don't even bother checking when you're riding, you'll probably get different readings all the time. Check this way asap to see if that 3/4 qt. you took out was way too much.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, just ran it again and checked it and it is in the normal range. Was hoping that someone would say if this would mess anything up?
Can't see it myself but if it was a little bit more and I was seeing some weird blue smoke or something then I would have a little concern. As I understand it, the tank holds the excess oil that is not needed by the engine and as the oil is pumped around the engine it will ultimately return back to the tank until required again? is that the correct way of thinking on that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Resevoir also helps cool the oil. Think of that sheetmetal tank as a heat-sink.

3/4 of a quart sounds like a lot to be over on a machine that only requires 2 quarts. How did the oil that came out feel?

Fuel in your oil is a good way to eat bearings....quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It felt like oil, but for 120 miles on the oil it is pretty black. weird thing is when I picked it up from the dealer the service manager went over it with me and he pulled the stick and showed me the oil level which was normal.
I think I am going to drain it down, change the filter and put in new oil to make sure. 2.1 quarts if I am reading right? one in the tank and one in the engine right?

·
Registered
299 Posts
It felt like oil, but for 120 miles on the oil it is pretty black. weird thing is when I picked it up from the dealer the service manager went over it with me and he pulled the stick and showed me the oil level which was normal.
I think I am going to drain it down, change the filter and put in new oil to make sure. 2.1 quarts if I am reading right? one in the tank and one in the engine right?
That's right. If you have any worry's, just start over. 1 qt in the tank, 1 qt in the engine. Then you can check the oil the way I said earlier or just forget about it and ride and you'll know you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks... will go to it tomorrow once i figure out where to drain it, where to fill it... time to pull the book that came with it..lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, oil is cheap and nothing to mess with.

Start over and you'll have peace of mind. If it gets high on you again, you'll know something's up, but fuel shouldn't turn your oil darker.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my oil and filter today, will do it tomorrow when its not so hot in my workshop! I got to get A/C in there.
Got a gallon of oil so I will have some for the next change and some to top off with in case. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If this is your first time...Do not over tighten the drain bolt!! I've never had a problem but many many people have stripped the threads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts