Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st thing, the oil reservoir is shiny clean and the screen inside is clean.

Alright some reason after riding for a few minutes my oil reservoir is filling up, over flowing and pressurizes itself out of the dipstick.

I just went out and ran the bike for few minutes, not riding it, and the oil level is lowering to the 'half mark' and acting normal. I don't have anywhere to ride it near me until it overflows...

So I'm asking for some suggestions.

The oil is getting allot of bubbles mixed in with it, is this normal?
as it's the only thing I can think of that would cause it from draining to the crankcase, is multiple bubbles clogging the return screen :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
You probably have a head gasket leak that is putting cylinder pressure into the oil system causing the oil to expand and flow out the fill hole

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
headbolts torque to 27ft lb right?

I installed the MLS headgasket dry, am I suppose to use a sealer?

If it were the headgasket wouldn't it do this all the time? even while idling/revving at NOT in the yard?

I guess it's possible that the head is floating under load? how normal would that be?

Edit: has stock piston

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Wouldn't the crankcase breather take care of pressure due to a head gasket leak? The crankcase should be vented unlike the cooling system. Sounds more like there is a return line to the engine is plugged. Another thing to consider also is the stock oil reservoir has a tube from the top to the valve cover gasket - this should prevent pressurization of the tank itself.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wouldn't the crankcase breather take care of pressure due to a head gasket leak? The crankcase should be vented unlike the cooling system. Sounds more like there is a return line to the engine is plugged. Another thing to consider also is the stock oil reservoir has a tube from the top to the valve cover gasket - this should prevent pressurization of the tank itself.
Yep x2

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
1st thing, the oil reservoir is shiny clean and the screen inside is clean.

Alright some reason after riding for a few minutes my oil reservoir is filling up, over flowing and pressurizes itself out of the dipstick.

I just went out and ran the bike for few minutes, not riding it, and the oil level is lowering to the 'half mark' and acting normal. I don't have anywhere to ride it near me until it overflows...

So I'm asking for some suggestions.

The oil is getting allot of bubbles mixed in with it, is this normal?
as it's the only thing I can think of that would cause it from draining to the crankcase, is multiple bubbles clogging the return screen :eek:
Everything you describe is totally normal..............
I cant think of anything that would make a leaking head gasket cause air to enter the lubrication system...........

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Your raptor isnt over full on oil is it. If it is at the Max mark on the dipstick when cold then it is over full. You need to check the oil when it is hot. Oil expands when heated so that could be part of the problem.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Another thing to consider is the fact that Raptor uses a dry sump system, this system using a scavenger pump, ( one half of the engine oil pump ) keeps oil flowing to the front mounted oil tank and the transmission bearings and shafts, when the oil is cold and doesnt flow as easily, the scavenger pump will at times deplete the base of oil hence pumping air, aerating the oil supply being pumped, the cold oil will hang up in the trans gears and base when colder but once it warms up will flow much easier to the sump located in the bottom of the base. The scavenger pump, pumps much more oil then the engine oil pump volume wise, this can cause the oil tank to become full and this is one reason for the vent tube at the top of the tank, it can and will spill over the extra oil back ionto the valve cover area of the engine...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts