Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 01 Raptor 660. Checked it out visually, started it, Sounded good, took it for a ride, everything seemed legit. Took it out for the first time for a full day the other day, got it home, noticed a little oil in the bed of my truck where the quad was, also came out the next morning and there was a little oil on my shop floor under the quad.. :banghead: Checked the oil, seems like its a little over full. Could that be a cause of the oil I'm seeing? Im probably going to take it in anyways to have it checked out but just wondering what are the most common causes of oil leaking.

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gah im at work and cant see it!! :icecream:

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
If you look straight up from the spot of oil on the ground you'll probably see where it is comming from ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look straight up from the spot of oil on the ground you'll probably see where it is comming from ;)
tis true.
Has a skid plate so I guess I could pull it and check.
Was more or less just wondering if these quads had certain spots there known for something like this or if its just cause the oil is overfull.

if it is the oil being overfull where will it come out from?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the world of Raptors - you're going to like it.

Typically, these engines don't leak out when overfull - the Rappy uses a closed, dry sump with dual oil pump - one to fill the tank, the other to feed pressurized oil to the engine.

It is common to have a small leak or two, although it can be coming from a myriad of places - a thorough cleaning followed by a short run should show you its origin.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I common leak place that i have seen on 660s is the front sprocket seal....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum and to the world of Raptors - you're going to like it.

Typically, these engines don't leak out when overfull - the Rappy uses a closed, dry sump with dual oil pump - one to fill the tank, the other to feed pressurized oil to the engine.

It is common to have a small leak or two, although it can be coming from a myriad of places - a thorough cleaning followed by a short run should show you its origin.
Thank You. Just recently sustained an injury on a dirt bike (damage to my Achilles Tendon) that kinda left me unable to keep riding dirt bikes. So I traded it in for a Quad hoping that will at least keep me out there playin around a little. But at any rate ill wash it, pull the skid plate tonight, let it idle for a bit then see where the oil is coming from and go from there. 8)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Your drain bolt could very well be a place its coming from as well. Maybe it isn't tight or the gasket is missing or something. It could also be from around the front sprocket, but that would be a bit more obvious. A clean up and it will be easy to spot :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
yup, good cleaning after skid removal and a short ride w/o the skid should be enough to find the leak. Bad stator/clutch covers can cause a small leak too...specially once the oil gets to operating temp

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya looks like it might be from the clutch cover. Where's a good place to get just that gasket? again thanks for the info folks. =)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to replace my clutch gasket, is it easy to get off? Any surprises i should be looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I have to replace my clutch gasket, is it easy to get off? Any surprises i should be looking for.
just the one bolt on the bottom left I believe... it hits the frame when you try to pull it out and you have to take it off with the clutch cover.....remember to put the bolt in the hole of the clutch cover before you put the cover on or you won't be able to get it in......

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about the clutch shaft arm? Does that stay in the cover when u pull it out?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts