Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go check the dip stick and it was on very tight so I got a monkey wrench and it got loose but the minunte it got loose oil came right out. Than when I pulled the dip stick out more oil was coming out. So I was wondering if that was from sitting a year and there was air built up or what and if there is oil getting to where it should go?

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
Was it hot and had it just run? Did you last fill when cold? It may be overfilled - you need to check and fill when hot, but after sitting for a minuter or two.

Either of these can make the tank overflow. Else, one of the oil pumps could be failing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time I checked it. It has been sitting for a year so it was cold. Is it ok to try and start it

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
So... did you just buy it? It sat for a year under someone elses ownership?

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
It's my cousins it has not been started in a year and a half. I'm working on it for him
So ask HIM when and how he last filled it. Has it been stored flat on it's 4 wheels, or upright, with two wheels in the air? Does the oil smell a LOT like gasoline? If so, it's possible that the fuel tank has drained into the engine via a stuck float valve in one of the carbs... overfilling the system.

There is a large screw on the right side of the head, just centered over the camshaft - loosen or remove this screw and start (or crank over) the engine. Within a short time you should see oil start to leak out the hole or around the screw threads... if so the oil system is working. If you don't get any oil there after 15-20 seconds, stop - you have a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
oil overflowing

I had the same problem .....changed oil by following the sticky,and I run it every day now with no problems

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I went to go check the dip stick and it was on very tight so I got a monkey wrench and it got loose but the minunte it got loose oil came right out. Than when I pulled the dip stick out more oil was coming out. So I was wondering if that was from sitting a year and there was air built up or what and if there is oil getting to where it should go?
This could also be caused by a plugged in tank filter, it is located in the fitting at the bottom of the tank, on the left side.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts