Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
ESR is the water temp gauge you need. The gauge is at an angel and is liquid filled. It reads up to 250 deg F.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
well I have been trying a few things. I have a billit cam plug. It replaces the factory plug in the head where the cam is. It is tapped with a 1/8 npt. I have tried a couple different gauges. The main problem is there is only 10 psi of oil pressure at the cam. So you need a low psi gauge. I have tried a couple of those small fuel pressure gauges. The first one was a Marshal liquid filled gauge. The problem with it is this. The gauges only shows the a difference in pressure between the inside of the guage and the oil pressure. So as the gauge heats up it builds internal pressure. So as pressure inside the guage builds the reading on the gauge goes down. If your raptor has 10 psi of oil pressure, but the internal gauge pressure is 6 psi due to heat expansion. The gauge will only read 4 psi.

So my next gauge I tried was a Moroso 0-15 psi fuel pressure gauge. It was non liquid filled. It didnt last long. The small tube vibrated enough that the gauge broke and it leaked oil out through the front glass.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Cam Plugs for oil pressure gauge............ :cool:
Yep I have a bigdaddy660R cam plug. My next experiment will be another liquid pressure gauge. I am going to let it get good and warm. Then pull the little rubber cap out to vent the pressure caused by heat. Then the gauge should be accurate again. The moroso gauge didnt hold up.

Two other options would be to get an electric low pressure gauge or use an elbow and hose to remotly mount a mechanical pressure gauge. My 660 engine just vibrates to much for a non liquid filled gauge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts