Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the transmission in my 2001 660 and have the bike all back together and am adding oil. I filled the reservoir and cranking the engine with spark plug wire grounded so it doesn't start, but it's not sucking in oil...

I added some oil to the crankcase and it pumped it back to the reservoir which over flowed.
Not only is it not sucking oil down but it doesn't seem like oil is getting to the camshaft? I unscrewed the "cam inspection cap screw" and no oil came out.

Any Ideas??
the engine was CLEAN of sludge, so the lines should be too.

I'm going to go get gas now and possibly try starting it...

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
did you hook up the oil lines on the tank right?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
drain a quart of oil out of the resivoir and put it in the valve cover on the intake valve side remove the screw on the sigt hole and see if it comes out then

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lines pretty much can only go 1 way lol

I was going to do what you said Tommy, but instead I took a syringe, sucked out about 1/4 quart from the reservoir and pressure sprayed 1 syringe full into that screw hole hoping it would force its way through the oil passages.

Then I poured gas in and started it, started right up, ran it at ~3000 rpm for about 5 seconds then shut it off. waited a second, checked oil and it's going down now.

So I guess the engine has to be running for the oil pump to be spinning fast enough to create enough suction?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You will crank forever trying to get oil to flow. Just fire it up and crack the screw loose on the cam plug. Cranking the engine over doesnt produce enough rpm to pump oil from the tank fast enough.

Like the other have said. One quart in the tank, One quart down through the valve cover.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I pulled a spark plug and cranked it over until it primed that way. It worked good this way and without one of my spark plugs in it cranked over fast enough to get it flowing.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I just use enough oil and engine assembly lube that a dry start up after a rebuild isnt going to happen.

Plus the oil pump is more effeciant when it is running so your grinding away cranking it, trying to get oil pressure to build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts