Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever think of a way to put screens on the inlet holes of the oil pump itself..? Maybe drilling it out a bit so a hardened oring screen would fit..? I've got several little metal pieces and one very unnaturally large piece stuck in my pump atm after oil change.. With signs of pitting that looks to have been taking place for awhile.. Hoping it was all from the oneway I replaced last year..

Now I'm in the process of trying to figure if I should just try to pressure force oil thru the motor or split the cases to clean it out...

All could have been prevented by a hard screen on the intake ports.. I mean so what if it gets clogged up and oil stops flowing and you don't know about it, no difference than the pump seizing and the same thing happening.. Def goin to put a pressure gauge on it this time.! But I'm thinking about taking new pump to a machine shop to see if we can find a way to get screens in there. If any of you know of anybody who's done this please let me know..

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The screen that is inbetween the cases can still get pluged and starve the oil pump. What would adding a second screen inbetween the factory sump screen and oil pump do? The first screen is still going to be the one to plug up first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
again, I'm not really concerned with any of the screens clogging up and restricting oil flow.. I'm concerned with how a very large piece of aluminum made its way past the sump screen (that you have to crack case to get to, very bad design imho..) and into my oil pump which destroyed it..

having never personally seen the sump screen/housing I have no idea how this happened (although I've read a few forums about similar probs so I guess its fairly common) but I have just taken off the oil pump and it would be very easy to have a screen placed at the inlet hole to stop large debri from entering it (still not quite sure which is the inlet..)

poor oil flow is much much better than a seized pump with no oil flow at all.. I would think anyways.. i figured someone else prob already came to the same conclusion and tried it..

after more inspection I can't figure out which galley the two holes in the rear (motor side) of the pump come from/go to.. maybe it didn't make it past the sump screen.. but I know it wouldn't have made it past the mod I'm suggesting..:)

does the inlet come from the sump screen or the tank..? and does anybody know which one is the inlet..?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The oil pump is really 2 pumps in one.

The scavanger pump sucks oil up from the crank case and pumps it in to the top of the oil tank, and a few transmission gears.

The second part is the main engine oil pump. It takes oil from the bottom of the tank and runs it through the filter. Then it goes to the camshaft, crank, and the other transmission gears.

How did the fine screen / tube in the bottom of the oil tank look?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
and just for the record when I say large piece of metal, think of a roller out of a full size truck u-joint.. a heavy duty u-joint..! and then almost double it..!!

now it very well may have been multiple pieces before it got hammered together in the pump housing because its unrecognizable as any part of the motor I'm familiar with now, but with plastic gears driving it and no way for it to have been hit more than the first revolution of the pump (had to stop dead in its tracks the second it entered) I can't imagine there could've been that much force on it.. all I know is its solid and huge now

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Did it strip the plastic oil pump gears?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tank screen had multiple tiny pieces of metal and quite a bit of silicone.. i changed out the oil tank to one of those oversized aluminum ones and cleaned the lines and that screen out..

do you know which one of the "pumps" is the one facing the motor..? and where that oil comes from..? and which is the inlet..?

sry for so many questions I've just never seen the cases apart on a 660 and every oil flow diagram I've been able to find is all but unreadable to me..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it strip the plastic oil pump gears?
it striped the driven gear on the oil pump internally (center of the plastic gear).. little half moon metal piece on the inside that goes over the oil pump shaft.. all the teeth on the outside of the driven gear and outside and inside of the drive gear were pristine..

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
tank screen had multiple tiny pieces of metal and quite a bit of silicone.. i changed out the oil tank to one of those oversized aluminum ones and cleaned the lines and that screen out..

do you know which one of the "pumps" is the one facing the motor..? and where that oil comes from..? and which is the inlet..?

sry for so many questions I've just never seen the cases apart on a 660 and every oil flow diagram I've been able to find is all but unreadable to me..
No. About the only thing I could tell you to do is to take the oil line off the LH side of the motor. Then try blowing compressed air in each of the holes and see if you can feel a breeze out of the fitting that the line hooks up to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well judging from your description and the two quarts of oil (that was in tank) that leaked out of the "bottom" smaller hole for the front pump, i'd say that i'm dealing with the scavenger pump.. (that should come from the sump screen..right.?)

because no oil came out of either one of the two larger holes (the ones for the pump closest to the engine) where my chunk of metal came from..

which leads me back to attempting to flush it (or crack case..:( )..

i think ima try pushing a couple quarts thru whichever i determine is the "outlet" and seeing if it will push anything out the other hole/sump screen/bottom galley/tank wherever it comes out.. i know the oil you can see around the plastic case for the sump is dirty looking..

i wish i had a little electric motor i could pump oil thru it with.. might have to acquire something like that..

i just hate to lock up a new pump (or worse) over another piece of metal.. but i hate to crack the case right now because that will perpetuate over a grand worth of upgrades..! things that i'm definitely going to do, eventually.. just not right now..

goin to go by head shop mon to see what they think about drilling for a screen.. but i gotta find somebody to make the screen. anybody on here have a shop with the equipment/ideas..? it would be nice to incorporate the rubber seal for the inlet into a wire mesh screen..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if anybody does i could furnish the precise dimensions if you don't happen to have a rappy with the oil pump off it sitting around..:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts