Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'd like to say I'm new here and that I am 16 years old and very mechanically inclined. I do all my own work to my vehicles. After graduating High school I will be attending MMI or another technical school for atv/motorcycle mechanic. I have already been promised money from my uncle to open my own shop when I finish tech school. I own a 2002 raptor slighlty modded. It's got a wiseco .020 over 11:1 high comp piston, Hmf slip on and for now those are the only engine mods.

Anyways to the point. last fall I was about to go on a big ride with a buncha buddies of mine. Well I wanted my raptor runnin top notch because these buddies produce video's and I had the chance to be in the video. So I started to tune up my raptor. I changed my plug, cleaned my filter, oiled my chain ya know the basics. Then I changed my oil. I drained the tank and the crankcase. I went to fill it up and I got about 1.5 quarts in the tank started it and ran it a bit then let it sit. I checked the oil and to my surprise I didn't need to add but another .5 quart. I got that in there and it looked to be fine. I rode it around for awhile ya know my normal riding style, wheelies, high speed runs, ect ect. Well I took it out to this buddies house the next day and was racing down the road in 5th gear. It got overheated to quick and it died. Right then I knew it was blown. We towed it back to the garage and I rode everyone elses for the day.

The next week I drained all my oil and started tearing it down. To my surprise out came barely any oil from the crankcase. Man was I pissed. So my question is... What the hell happened. I've have since rebuilt it and put in the wiseco piston. When I put oil in it I drain it all out of the crank and everywhere I can. Then I tip it on it's side and put roughly 2.25 quarts back into the crank, exactly where I drained it from. I then take my valve cover off and put about .25 of a quart into the head. Now I know I need to fix this problem and what I am doing is not foolproof and it can easily be blown up again.

Now I've checked the lines leading from the oil tank to the motor. Not plugged at all. My lined moving all over the motor are not plugged and it seems like everything is getting plenty of oil. So would this be my oil pump? I really don't want to change it but I will if I have to. It seems to run fine and is plenty powerful and doesn't seem to make any noise other than the usually running of the engine.

Can anyone help me?

I see that alot of guys on this forum seem to have alot of knowledge of raptor's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Everyone looks no one knows :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
firstraptor said:
There's a banjo bolt on the right side of the head, in line with the cam, back it off 1/4 turn and see if it has oil pressure.

668rap said:
Everyone looks no one knows :(
:confused: a little impatient?
How would that bolt affect the oil pressure? I'll try it when I get it put back together however. I have it torn down right now changing 2 intake valves. Sorry about being impatient. I saw all the other posts on this site and they were all responded to right away.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't think it will effect the pressure but it will open up an oil gallery and if oil comes out then I guess you have pressure

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I just don't understand that why when I put it in the crankcase directly it will pump it all over. But when I put it in the oil tank it will not even make it into the motor.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
well if you really think thats the problem, sit and think about what you said!!! You put it in the tank and it wont even make it to the motor!! Where would your problem be the? The lines? the screen in the tank? The return to the tank? Think about it and narrow it down, you say you want to open your own shop. You are going to need to work on your problem solving skills. There is only so many parts of the oil delivery system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
h0tr0d18 said:
well if you really think thats the problem, sit and think about what you said!!! You put it in the tank and it wont even make it to the motor!! Where would your problem be the? The lines? the screen in the tank? The return to the tank? Think about it and narrow it down, you say you want to open your own shop. You are going to need to work on your problem solving skills. There is only so many parts of the oil delivery system.
Read my original post and you will see that I already eliminated the lines. As I said "Now I've checked the lines leading from the oil tank to the motor. Not plugged at all." Now I am to the motor. I know there are many things in the motor that could cause the problem. I already read my manual over a couple times. I was just wondering what you guys thought is the problem and I have no clue and don't want to split my cases to find out.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Didn't think I should have to read your original post again!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
h0tr0d18 said:
Didn't think I should have to read your original post again!!!
Okay so what you are trying to say is that it is my fault you had to read the original post again? I guess I don't understand how it would be my fault considering your the one who couldn't even remember what I had typed. Look man I don't want to start anything I came here looking for help and so far from you I haven't gotten anything at all.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well all i'm saying is that when someone has read your post once they really don't think they have to read it again or should have to read it again, it kindof becomes redundant after the first time. If someone has an awnser for you they will post it, be patient.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Here are some diagrams, they may help out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hotrod is right, the banjo bolt will only tell you if you have oil flow. And as he suggested you should recheck the the strainer in the tank, as you said the lines are clear. I presume you blew air thru them? You can pull the clutch cover and see if the pump gear is intact, but if it has flow when you fill the case but not when you fill the tank that leaves an obstruction somewhere.
When you rebuilt the motor what did the cam bearings look like?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx Rt for the pictures. I have all but the very first one in my manual. I'll be putting it back together tomorrow and I'll fill it up the way I usually do and then check the two lines leading outside of the motor. First raptor- Yes I blew air through the lines and they are clear. When I changed my clutch to a Barnett Dirt Digger over x-mas break the pump gear looked fine. If it doesn't seem like I'm getting much oil pressure I'll just pull the pump out and take it apart and clean it then put it back in and check it out again. If it doesn't work I may just take it somewhere because I really don't want to split the cases. But, they are gonna charge an ass load so I may just have to do it myself.

I'll let ya know what I get out of it tomorrow and if I take the pump out I'll take pics and show ya so maybe some of you would be able to tell if maybe a part is bad on it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thanks RT!! this is not something I have done before. I knew someone would come through, just takes time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had the same problem last week come to find out my oil pump locked up and broke the drive gear. the pump is right under the clutch basket, really easy to get to and change. pump is 115.00 gear is 15.00. hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts