Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I use 10W30 or WAT?
ITs coming spring where I live and Its going to be summer pretty soon...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just a question. Why not use car oil? I have been told it's basically the same thing. Just wondering just tryin to learn sumthin new.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
668rap said:
Just a question. Why not use car oil? I have been told it's basically the same thing. Just wondering just tryin to learn sumthin new.
The oil is the same, it's the crap they add to it that creates the problem.

Most atvs are wet clutched which means the clutch is bathed in the same oil the engine runs on. The friction reducing additives in auto oil used to increase efficency and reduce heat will trash the wet clutch in an atv.

Edit: LOL, beat me to it Brian. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Okay well I was told by my ex-mechanic (stopped going to because I started doing work myself) to use castrol gtx 10w-30. He said that's what he uses in all his cars. It is a non synthetic oil or sae (I was told that sae meant non sythentic please correct if I am wrong). So would this hurt my clutch at all? I just put in a dirt digger clutch beacuse my stock one being 5 years old was worn to hell. I want to know if using this oil will cause it to slipp horribly.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
668rap said:
sae (I was told that sae meant non sythentic please correct if I am wrong).
SAE is mearly the abrevation for Society of Automotive Engineers.

The oil issue isn't with the synthetics, it's the stuff added to the oils that aren't ment for wet clutches. Run almost any oil that is for motorcycle's.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Can't go wrong with Yamalube 4R. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
has anybody heard of ALISYN??? i just got a bunch of it for free with my new raptor i bought yesterday.....its 10W-30.....any good?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
oh yeah its called PRO DRIVE 21......it says it reduces friction

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Maddog56 said:
668rap said:
The oil is the same, it's the crap they add to it that creates the problem.

Most atvs are wet clutched which means the clutch is bathed in the same oil the engine runs on. The friction reducing additives in auto oil used to increase efficency and reduce heat will trash the wet clutch in an atv.

Edit: LOL, beat me to it Brian. :thumbsup:
Missed it by a 64 seconds.

:thumbsup:

~Brian

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yup, why not use Yamalube?

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot of your 10W-30 weight oils will say "energy conserving". That is the main thing you want to stay away from.

The JASO Oil standard which is the oil standard for motorcycle 4 stroke engines is a standard that has been unchanged since 1993. Oil has advanced substantially in the past 14 years. So to say motorcycle oil is better than car/diesel oil in your motorcycle will not always be true.

Many oil analysis have shown that a lot of your JASO certified oils have significantly more molybdenum in them than many of your high quality sythetic motor oils.

I also use Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 in all my atv's and also my tractors. Your commercial grade diesel oil is desiged for extremely long service life and temperature. A lot of your industrial equipment runs off of wet clutch systems so it is wet-clutch safe plus you can get a gallon of the synthetic from Wal-Mart for $16. Rotella is the only oil recommended by Rekluse clutches.

FYI:
JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel consists of six organizations; Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ), Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JAMA), Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Inc. (JSAE), Land Engine Manufacturers Association (LEMA), Japan Lubricating Oil Society (JALOS), and Japan Boating Industry Association (JBIA) as well as other concerned companies (lubricant additive manufacturers).
Notice a Japanese theme here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.