Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

ive been riding my raptor for 2 years and didn’t notice many problems until recently. I bought a 2006 raptor 700r and unfortunately i can’t ride it without having to worry about something bad happenin

1st of all: every time I ride the engine will have small cut outs and sometimes it will fully cut and force the bike to stall in middle of the road. I’ve looked online everywhere and can’t seem to find anyone with same problem. the worst about this is if I let go of the handle bar with my left arm to nudge my helmet(etc), and the engine cuts, it’s a big problem as it brings my body forward as the bike slows down unexpectedly!

2nd: every 3/4 rides, I check my oil is below the empty mark. It literally drains the oil! I have also done 2 complete oil changes in the past year, which I thought would help however, it did not solve the problem. Oil is done every 3/4 rides, plus my rides are only 30-1hour long usually!

3rd: even when riding with a helmet, I hear loads of vibrations, it is super unpleasant riding the raptor without a helmet as all I hear is metal cranking !! Ahhh I don’t know what to do at this point.

I have had my mechanic do maintenance checks in the past but I think he just wanted to steal my money as he always said it was all fine, when it isn’t. Gosh, €6,800 euros for this and it’s already costed me more than €2000 in mechanic maintenance! Any help would mean a lot!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wait, did you say you paid 6,800.00 euros for an ‘06? Can you tell us what mods are done to the bike, some of its history and when these problems started happening after you bought it? Did you do something to it before it started consuming oil?

Aside from all that you have quite a serious issue on your hands here. Burning two quarts of oil an hour...Do you realize how serious that is? And you say you hear metal banging around while it runs... I would first advise you not to ride this quad until you fix it, otherwise you will do even more damage.

I would suggest you do a leak down test on it to start. That will give you a lead whether it’s bad rings or valves. Fortunately working in the Raptor is a pretty easy job once you figure out what’s going on. The hard part is diagnosing.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
Is there a lot of oil residue in the exhaust?

When you drain the oil how much comes out?

During the oil change do you bleed the tub at the head?

Loose skid plates can transfer a lot of noise. Check all bolts for tight. If you don't have tools, buy a basic set, it will save you money.

Take a length of hose to your ear and around the motor. Listen for noises. Especially the exhaust pipes at the head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts