Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my oil smells like gas, Is It a big damage? I took my quad to the deliver to change oil, and he charged me with the cost of 3qt of oil, he said they used like 2.5/2.7 qt. From that time i've put on It 4 hours, riding It really smooth and not hard. Can anyone help me?

· Administrator
9,525 Posts
Raptor 700 will only hold 2 qts. Put one in the crankcase, one in the oil reservoir.

Reactions: Whitney

· Registered
996 Posts
All my 700's have always taken more than 2 quarts, no matter how you check the oil. 2 quarts only puts mine to the add line. Maybe it is how you drain the oil, I do mine cold, always figured if you do it warm you are just putting oil up into the top end that has drained to the case from sitting.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
It’s very difficult to get an accurate reading with a dry sump system. The raptor holds 2qts with a filter change, that’s a fact. If you put in 2qts, ignore what your dipstick is telling you, because you know you put in the correct amount.

I put 2qts in and don’t ever check it. It’s counterintuitive, but you’re just stressing yourself out. One day it will look like it needs some, the next day it will be over full

Put the correct amount in and change it at set intervals and you won’t have a problem

I’ve noticed my oil smells a little gassy, it’s normal to have some of that smell. Check your spark plug and make sure it doesn’t look like you’re running too rich. If you’re really stressed you can send an oil analysis out as well

· Registered
84 Posts
I added 2 liters, not 2 quarts, so slightly more than 2 quarts, and when i check the level its good.
I would say if its up to the low line, you are fine.
If every time you check it, its at the low line, you would be safe to add a little bit if you want to.
Sorry I don't know how much it takes to get to the high mark from the low mark.

As for the gas smell, can't say I noticed that about mine, but also wasn't sniffing it.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
244 Posts
Get your quad fully warm and then shut it off. Let the oil settle for 3 minutes and then check it. This is the technique that I have found to work well. As with others I just put what the recommended amount is in and never had an issue. When I change the oil for the first time it was over filled by the dealer, or Yamaha themselves. It was closer to three quarts than the two that was recommended. It's not uncommon to have some exhaust/ gas smell in your oil. It's only a problem when raw feel is getting into your oil thinning it out. If you're worried about it, send it off to get it tested.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys I was thinking, if I press the throttle when the quad Is off and the keys are not inserted,will the gas be pumped into the cylinder regardless? Because I am usual to play with the throttle.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys today i went to check another time the oil level and now Is stable on E mark, even after 2 days sitting. The smells Is Always present, but i smelled pure gas and compared It to the oil smell, and it's not the same. The smell it's similar to the one of the exhaust, I thought that It would maybe burn oil, but the spark plug Is super clean and It does not smoke. Maybe this smell Is normal?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try to find who can do an oil analysis, I'll let you know. However i thinks it's an injector problem because from day one I bought It sometimes It misfires, like It stop for a moment and then continues to accelerate, this Is really fast and does It 4-5 times until I give It full gas. Any opinion about this?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also when I cold start It doesn't turn on really easy, I need good 5-7 seconds to turn It on and also It starts for a second does 2 pops and dies, and i need to start It again. Then the idle Is stable.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's bone stock. The only thing here in Europe Is that to make the quads street legal they apply to It some sort of "modification" to make them 14hp and limited to 80kmh. Basically they take a stock raptor and put on It an ECU locked to 80kmh(45mph), a spark arrestor waaaay more blocked, basically Is totally blocked and the exhaust's gas can go out only through an hole of 2 inches of diameter and they put a non unscrewable srew in the throttle. I removed all these mods with the original ECU and spark arrestor and breaking the screw, so the gas Is 100 percent now, the only thing Is the muffler, they filled It with something and I don't know how much they filled it, but I will change It with a slip on very soon. That's all, so to answer your question, no I don't have any mods that, at least, I don't know. The machine runs strong, but I've never used 100 percent throttle, I've used the quad limited at 14hp with all that mods only during the break in(as expressed from my deliver) so for 9 hours (idk why but I reached 240miles very soon, so totally my break in was of 9hours like that). The quad now has 13 hours. Tomorrow I'm going to do a compression test to see if everything Is ok. Crossed fingers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts