Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so last week me and my employee went out on our 660's. That was last Sunday, his 660 was running fine when we came back home, we cleaned them and stored them to be used today again. now when we went to start his rappy, it wouldn't start, when we finally started it, it was spitting oil like crazy through the cranck case vent tube, we imagined it was bad piston rings so we went ahead and change those quickly, started the quad up, and it started nicely until we accelerated it, it started spitting oil out again. piston looked good, head looked good and cylinder looked good upon dismount. haven't taken compression test, should be getting the compression tool tomorrow. any ideas?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK, so last week me and my employee went out on our 660's. That was last Sunday, his 660 was running fine when we came back home, we cleaned them and stored them to be used today again. now when we went to start his rappy, it wouldn't start, when we finally started it, it was spitting oil like crazy through the cranck case vent tube, we imagined it was bad piston rings so we went ahead and change those quickly, started the quad up, and it started nicely until we accelerated it, it started spitting oil out again. piston looked good, head looked good and cylinder looked good upon dismount. haven't taken compression test, should be getting the compression tool tomorrow. any ideas?
Did you measure piston to cylinder wall clearance, did you hone the cylinder walls to deglaze them, did you check piston ring end gap, and if so give the details..............

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Is there oil in the oil tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you measure piston to cylinder wall clearance, did you hone the cylinder walls to deglaze them, did you check piston ring end gap, and if so give the details..............
havent check those, we really tried to do a quick fix. but if I have to open the motor up again, i will check those measurments.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I was just wondering because if the oil pump sump screen is pluged the engine will fill up with oil and the tank will be empty. The high level of oil in the engine can cause oil to come out of the vent.

The bad thing when this happens is that the cam gets starved of oil because it is lubercated by the oil in the tank.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was just wondering because if the oil pump sump screen is pluged the engine will fill up with oil and the tank will be empty. The high level of oil in the engine can cause oil to come out of the vent.

The bad thing when this happens is that the cam gets starved of oil because it is lubercated by the oil in the tank.
Exactly.............:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts