Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I just put my motor together and fired it up for the 1st time on monday after rebuilding it top to bottom. the jetting isnt even done yet because i havent had the time to work on it this week, but i putted around on it tuesday night for 5 minutes. i took it for a little longer ride last night, like 15 minutes just puttin through the gears down the road and in my yard ( im still breakin it in), and after i got back i smelled hot oil, i looked around a bit and oil was blowin outa the crankcase breather hose ( i have a aluminum airbox with an outerwears lid, for the moment the breather hose just comes up between the carb boots and ends till i get a filter. its not all together yet). i checked the oil in the resivore, which is a oversized aluminum tank and it wasnt on the stick at all, i put in like 3 and a half quarts on that monday, and it checked fine yesterday before i rode it. i added a little bit ( like 1/4 quart) and it still wasnt on the stick. whats happening ( to the best of my knowledge) is the oil is all draining from the resivore and filling the crankcase, to the point that the crankcase is overfull and oil is blowin out the breather.... now is there something i overlooked when i rebuilt this thing, or is there a checkvalve on the return line from the tank. the bottom end was all gone through. new tranny, all new bearings and seals, oil pump and pickup, clutch, water pump... everyhhing... i even replaced the check ball, spring, and seat that are on the clutch cover side... if you have any clue whats happening, even a random guess i would appreciate it if you could help. thanks alot :help:

jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you sure that you install your piston ring in the right order and the right position.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
as far as i know the oil doesnt just drain into the case its actually pumped through just like your coolant, and the oil res is like you rradiator.. it just hangs out in the res until it gets pumped back into the engine...

sounds to me like your rings were installed wrong. did you line any of the ring gaps up.. they should all be at different position on the piston. it sound slike you have probably the top 2 lines up and compression is getting by the piston and into the crank case forcing the oil out through its only escape route, the crank case breather tube..

i hope this is not the case for you bro, since you just built 'er.. but it kinda soundsw like it, i hope someone chimes in with something better for you to try firt.. good luck with it :thumbsup:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
One of the pumps supplies oil to the crankshaft and the other pump brings oil to the trans, it also scavenges oil from the tank to cool it, sounds like the scavenger part of the system is either not working or is plumbed wrong. check all your hoses.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rings are instlled right, the oil pump is brand new so unless it got clogged by something like a tricky little leprechan, which i doubt. all the plumbing externally is set up correctly, the small tubes that feed the top end and transfer the oil are prety self explanatory, as are the hoses that run to the tank. im gettin plenty of oil to the top end, im gonna check the top hose that pumps into the tank to see if its gettin any oil to it, which im prety sure it is. but its like the tank isnt holdin any oil, its just draining back down to the oil... kinda like there is a check valve in the return line that is oppened when there is suction is stuck open.... any other guesses or ideas????? thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have found if I run 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 quarts of oil, I get oil out the crankcase breather. I have been adding 3 to 3 1/4 quarts of oil and I have not seen any oil.
Are you checking the oil level with it running? I start it up let it idle a few minutes then check while running.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you are supposed to let it idle/warm up for a few minutes, then let it set for just a few to let the oil settle the check the oil level ( without screwing the dip stick in... ) :thumbsup:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have a slightly oversize tank with cooling ducts, I do not have a dipstick, anytime I change the oil I just pour in 4 liters, let her run till she is warm and then check the oil, as long as I can see oil in the tank I drive her.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive been checking it when it is shut off, after i warm it up for a few minutes, when i do that there wont be any oil on the dipstick, but if i put something like a screwdriver down into the tank it will read that i have like 3" in the bottom of the tank. what is the purpose of the check ball, spring, and seat that are on the lower front side of the clutch cover, i thought it was a oil bypass valve,? thanks again

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
here, read my lovely experience with this same problem.... its a long thread, but be sure and read it all to see what was causing the problem. http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=23388.0

i doubt you have the same problems with the clutch basket as i did (since you just had it tore down and obviously inspected it). did you happen to look at that screen in the bottom of the cases where the oil runs through?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what does the check ball and spring on the right side cover control, is it a check valve from the oil return line or is it something like a pressure reliefe valve??? this problem is pissin me off

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Ofive6sixty said:
all new bearings and seals
Does this include the 2 transmssion bearings in the left side case? If so, did the new bearings have the the integrated seals in them or were they open bearings like the others in the case?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, any bearings taht i replaced were isntalled just like the ones that came out. i went to a company in town where i live call allied industrial, all they sell is bearings... they matched the writing on all the bearings and i had them use their micrometer on them when i picked them up, thein i took my micrometer to them when i got home to make sure it was correct... all the bearings i got from them had integrated seals, on the ones that diodnt need the seals i removed them, so they are installed just like factory.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeh that is an indication that theres to much pressure in your cases, which could mean to much oil or to thick of oil, if ur rings are set right than idk what to tell ya

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone have an oil flow diagram for the 660, i doubt yamaha put one out... also, does anyone know what the check ball on the lower front of the motor on the clutch side do. thanks for anything..

its not that there is too much pressure from the rings not being set right, its not my first motor by any means... just my first raptor motor. its that the oil resivore is just letting all the oil in it flow back into the crankcase, even when its not running. then after all the oil bleeds down because gravity sucks. it is overfilling the cases and then blowin out the vent.....

sorry if i sound like a dick but ive got alot of time and money in this thing and just wanna ride it and i have little bs problems holdin me up, thanks again for any input

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
There is a oil flow diagram in my manual, I thought there was a manual online here although I have never looked for it. Need some imfo let me know

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ive got the clutch cover off inspecting things because ive looked into everything else i can, the check ball seems free. does anyone have any clue, im pullin out my hair and drinkin heavily right about now.... if i cant get it ill just run it till she pops, ive got a race in 2 weeks that i dont wanna miss and this isnt helpin. anyone, even some sort of wise ass idea... i dont care :grin_nod:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Ofive6sixty said:
ive got the clutch cover off inspecting things because ive looked into everything else i can, the check ball seems free. does anyone have any clue, im pullin out my hair and drinkin heavily right about now.... if i cant get it ill just run it till she pops, ive got a race in 2 weeks that i dont wanna miss and this isnt helpin. anyone, even some sort of wise ass idea... i dont care :grin_nod:
I had asked you about the left side case bearings because the integrated seals on the backside of those bearings direct oil back to the tank via the tube on the top of the cases, if that seal goes out or just isn't there then the oil which is pumped up there will run through the bearing and back into the cases instead of to the tank.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah when you mentioned that that is what i figgured. no, it would be nice to know what was goin on but i dont think its that. thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:banghead: well, idont know what to do now. last night i pulled off the clutch cover, checked everything, blew out any oil passages with air, cleaned and checked the check ball on the clutch cover, put everything back together, didnt get a chance to finish filling the oil and test it because it was 11:30 at night and the sparks is a little loud. so after work today i finished filling the oil. i put in 3 1/3 pints bell ray, ran it for a little bit (considering im breaking it in and didnt really get on it at all), checked it after 10 minutes and there wasnt anything coming out of the breather, rode it for 15 more minutes, pulled into the garage, there was oil commin outa the breather and the tank was empty, now im pissed because i thought i had it fixed, and it isnt :wtf:.... so then the heavy drinking began again.. i ended up pullin the top ( feed line ) off the tank and started it up, after 2 seconds at idle a stream ] [ that wide was trickling from the line, when i revved it it flowed more, at like 1/3 throttle it flowed no more that a stream like ] [ wide, now im lost, what the hell should i do next. are there any other things to check before i pull my new motor ( just put it in the frame last week ) out and tear the cases back apart, or is that the only option. at this point in the game i outa just cut my losses and part the damn thing out and try to recoup some $$$ but i dont know. maybe ill go with a 4 mil stroker so its atlease worth my time... or ill just be a reall dumbass and beat it till it pops, that way i can mentally justify pullin it all down again, so the pro's out there, what the hell should i do. ??? :help: ??? :help:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts