Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just rebuild my entire engine. I put in new weisco crank, weisco 11.1 piston,and have a 101 bore, all new trans bearings, and crank bearings, new timminging chain and a mechanical timming chain tensioner. The engine has about 15 hours on it and today I noticed that oil is comming out of the case vent hose in a steady stream. So I checked the oil and didn't ride it for a while, started it up when the engine was cold and there was nothing comming out of the hose. So I took it for a drive and I came back. So it only dose it when the engine is warm
There is no oil on dip stick and you can hear like a suction sound comming out of the vent. The engine starts and runs amazing. Has a lot of power and idles like it should so I don't think it has blown by. Can anyone help me try and figure this out. Please thanks so much 馃檹

Registered
So I just rebuild my entire engine. I put in new weisco crank, weisco 11.1 piston,and have a 101 bore, all new trans bearings, and crank bearings, new timminging chain and a mechanical timming chain tensioner. The engine has about 15 hours on it and today I noticed that oil is comming out of the case vent hose in a steady stream. So I checked the oil and didn't ride it for a while, started it up when the engine was cold and there was nothing comming out of the hose. So I took it for a drive and I came back. So it only dose it when the engine is warm
There is no oil on dip stick and you can hear like a suction sound comming out of the vent. The engine starts and runs amazing. Has a lot of power and idles like it should so I don't think it has blown by. Can anyone help me try and figure this out. Please thanks so much 馃檹
might be overfilled, it is super tricky to get the right oil measurement the suction noise I believe is alright, the pressure systems in the engine are different so it will make that noise, run it till it is nice and warmed up, shut it off and let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes, than check the oil level, the overall oil capacity is about 2.43 quarts, hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey sry for not getting back to you been a long year. But I just started working on the raptor again and did what you said to do. But it still only flows to the case and dose not return to the oil tank
I did however put a new return hose on it case the old one was cloged beyond repair. And still no oil returns to the oil tank

Registered
2005 Raptor 660 (bored to 672)
Hey sry for not getting back to you been a long year. But I just started working on the raptor again and did what you said to do. But it still only flows to the case and dose not return to the oil tank
I did however put a new return hose on it case the old one was clogged beyond repair. And still no oil returns to the oil tank
Have you checked the oil pump? It has two impellers make sure to check both when disassembling it and check whether both impellers spin freely (remove the clutch basket and the plastic gear and you will have access to the oil pump without splitting the cases). The other thing that maybe is happening is that there is a leak somewhere. If the quad is not dripping oil, it can be a leak on the inside of the engine in one of the oil galleries (where a metal piece hit it - which is highly unlikely) OR one of the oil seals is leaking in one of the covers. (Can't remember which cover, but either the clutch cover or the flywheel cover has a doughnut shaped metal and rubber seal - check that). One of the covers also has an o-ring around the locating pins. It can be any of those seals. Have you replaced all of the oil seals?

It sounds like the oil is returning to the tank through the breather hose and not the return line? If one of your oil lines was clogged I would check all of them. A clogged line indicates that particles were flowing through all of the oil paths. Start by cleaning all of the external oil lines (blow air through them with a compressor), then if the problem is still not solved, it might be time to split the cases and check all of the oil passages. Check the stickies, the manual is on there, search for the oil flow diagram and it will show you how the oil flows through the engine. Clean those lines first and it would also be best to check the newly installed return line as well (assuming the particles are still in your engine). Hope this helps.

The valve cover breather line is directly connected to the oil tank. After too much oil is in the camshaft area, it overflows to the tank via the "breather hose", Or that is what I understand you mean by breather hose. Was it leaking or how did you determine that oil was steadily flowing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts