Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to change my oil pretty soon what oil should i go with?

·
Registered
178 Posts
For every response, you'll get a personal opinion. Personally, I use Rotella 15w-40 dino juice.

If you stick with what the manual recommends, you cannot go wrong.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Does anyone know if the Amsoil 10w-30 4 stroke- small engine oil is ok? I have both the motorcyle 10w-40 and the 4-stroke engine 10w-30 and want to know if anyone feels one is better than the other. And can you mix the two if you only have a quart of each.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, this is an easy one......Yamalube !
The key thing here is make sure the oil you decide on is readily available and of a well recognized quality, as mixing of Amsoil and Yamalube is not recomended, also use only non-friction modified oils such as Yamalube as there is a big difference between say Yamalube 20w40 vs Automotive 20w40..... the automotive equivalent will contain friction additives to improve your mileage......not exactly the stuff you want your clutch immersed in.

Remember shinny side up !

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use AMS Oil 10w-40 and no problems hear great stuff.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I haven't had my Raptor long enough to need an oil change yet, but I mostly use Golden Spectro in my street bikes. Shifts nice and smoothe. I tried Mobil 1 M/C oil once, shifting became clunky, clutch plates stick more often leading to that wonderful lurch-n-kill the first time it goes onto gear in the morning.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Spectre Gold 10w-40 synthetic for me.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
YamahaGenuineParts.com said:
Hi there, this is an easy one......Yamalube !
The key thing here is make sure the oil you decide on is readily available and of a well recognized quality, as mixing of Amsoil and Yamalube is not recomended, also use only non-friction modified oils such as Yamalube as there is a big difference between say Yamalube 20w40 vs Automotive 20w40..... the automotive equivalent will contain friction additives to improve your mileage......not exactly the stuff you want your clutch immersed in.

Remember shinny side up !

Why can't you mix ??

·
Registered
135 Posts
amz oil 10w-40 synthetic works perfect. i just changed the oil today

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maxima 4 20w50 Synblend

Tusk oil Filter

Robe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mobil 1,10w30.

·
Registered
575 Posts
anyone use a K&N oil filter ? if not what filter do you use ?

im getting ready to do my first oil change this weekend, should i use synthetic or wait ?

and whats the difference in the yamalube 4 and the 4-R ?

If it is ok to go synthetic i think im going to run AMSOIL 10w-40 Synthetic.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What is the beniefit on going with synthetic rather than petroleum based oils. Less frequent oil changes? When I change my oil it still looks new.

·
Registered
178 Posts
vermin99 said:
What is the beniefit on going with synthetic rather than petroleum based oils. Less frequent oil changes? When I change my oil it still looks new.
Depends upon your mindset, but synth offers advantages over dino, especially with multi-vis dino due to the added polymers which can break down.

Synth can have a better base stock.

But........so long as you are within spec for the engine, anything over the top of that spec has diminishing returns, especially of you change your oil in 1/8 or 1/10 of the recommended interval. (20 or 10 hrs vs the recommended 160).

Only true way to determine when your oil needs changing is to run tests at a lab. Here's one: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I use Rotella or Delo as it is within spec, has good base stock, and does not include friction modifiers (moly, etc.) that are supposedly going to cause clutch issues (even though I have run energy conserving oil in wet-clutch applications with NO problems). If I use this oil and change it at 50 or so hours, I am way above the needs of the engine, and am not lacking coverage at all.

I think if you run synth, and change it a t 10-20 hours, and send in a sample for the tests, that the report will show you your oil is 10-15% "used", if that much.

Short answer is that it is a very personal and controversial topic with few folks actually basing their position on true lab data. If you want the truth, get scientific and send in a sample.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts