Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well switched out to the 12th last night and the bike seemed to surge, thinking the chain was too lose. Then the 14th tooth I couldnt get on at all. I know there has to be a chain adjustment but havent had it long enough to know where and how to do it :3question:

The 12th dropped my top end 10mph....I'm thinking its the chain tension.

Please help!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Loosen the two 17mm nuts on the ends of the two large horizontal axle carrier bolts. These are the ones that hold the carrier into the swingarm.

Loosen the two locknuts on the carrier adjustment bolts. These are those two things sticking out of the top of the swingarm just behind the shock mount for apparently no reason. The locknuts you need to loosen are the ones on the bottom. Once you've loosened these you can loosen the bolts themselves. Loosen both bolts exactly the same amount, this is to keep the axle straight.

Now you should have the ability to slide the axle and it's carrier forward in the swingarm and this will loosen the chain.

Then you can remove the front sprocket and install the new one with the chain around it.

Once that's done, screw the two adjustment bolts back into the swingarm equal amounts until you have between 3/4" to 1 1/4" total movement in the center of the chain. Basically wiggle the chain halfway between the front and rear sprocket and adjust it until the amount of wiggle is between the measurements I just listed.

Tighten up the locknuts on the adjustment bolts, then tighten up the two 17mm nuts on the axle carrier bolts and you're ready to rock.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Alright I've done this but one issue. My axle doesn't seem to want to move forward at all. What do you do to get the axle to move forward?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Once the carrier bolts are loose and the adjustment bolts are backed out it should be free. Try jacking up the swingarm and taking the load off the axle. When all else fails I grab my grab bar, sit on the garage floor and try to kick the swingarm forward with my feet. I throw a little grease in around the carrier when I have it out, makes things easier.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks MD. I have some spray penetrating oil would it be safe to use that?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
That's fine, it's aluminum on aluminum so no worries about corroding the seals as long as you don't squirt any in the seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts