Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil is staying in the reserve tank. i checked the oil it was a little high went around the yard. shut it off waited for it to cool down checked it again and it was higher yet. other than draining the oil and replaceing the filter what else should i check?
i only have ten hrs or so on this oil change.(10/40 amsoil) thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You probably just not following the oil checking procedure. Reread the manual on how to check the oil. When you follow that method, you'll see it's probably fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im very sure that i know how to check the oil. warm up let cool down and check it.
it has sat all day today as the local yamaha shop is closed on wed. and couldn't get a filter it is still up.is the bottom line the return from the crank?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Read the manual on how to check the oil, instead of assuming you know how to.

Oil and other fluids expand with temp.

The first comment is not in an attempt to be an ass, just stating to read the manual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like they have said, read your manual. I think you are letting it sit to long before checking. You check the level a couple of minutes after shutting it off so that the oil settles. If you wait to long, it will read high, if you check it just after shutting it down it will read low. The reference to cooling down in the manual means that your quad must have been cold at first, warmed up to oil temp approx 160 degrees, shutting it down, wait a couple of minutes, check oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im really sure how to check the oil.i hear what you are saying but it is clogged somewhere or something im not a mechanic but im certain on how to check the oil level it has been 24 hrs. plus and is still higher than ever.( 1/8 inch below the dipstick top dont screw it back in ) i cant download the manual. im not new to owning quads if it is plugged what would be the next step please. thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
ddeck said:
im really sure how to check the oil.i hear what you are saying but it is clogged somewhere or something im not a mechanic but im certain on how to check the oil level it has been 24 hrs. plus and is still higher than ever.( 1/8 inch below the dipstick top dont screw it back in ) i cant download the manual. im not new to owning quads if it is plugged what would be the next step please. thanks for your advice.

Start that thing up and run it for about 60 seconds then shut it down and see if the oil level drops on the stick, if it does then nothing is clogged. If it does go down a little right after running and it doesn't smell like fuel big time, then you haven't been checking it as per the manual or it was over filled. If it doesn't move at all then you need to check the oil presure, it is outlined in the service manual what you need and how to do this or if it's still under warranty take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Also make sure you get the oil up to temperature. It's like 140F "oil" before you can really check the level. I would ride it for a few moments and or let it sit for a solid 10 minutes at idle then turn it off wait 2 min and then recheck. If you don't get it up to temp it won't read accurate and will show low.

Mike

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You can read the manual online if you sign up on the "My Yamaha" site.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
what was the oil level at when you first checked it after changing it?

vermin99 said:
You can read the manual online if you sign up on the "My Yamaha" site.
Do you have a link?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have fifteen hours probably on this oil i always check it before i ride (how the manual says) it has always been fine. with the reserve full will there be enough oil in the motor, to start and let idle ? if it starts to make unusual noise can i shut it down in time to not hurt it? i bought it last june so it is not under warranty any longer. thanks for the help i will sign on to my yamaha will i need any numbers or other buyers info well thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.