Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:I was loading my '05 660 on my trailer earlier today and hooked a tie-down on the handle bars. As I cinched down the bike, the tie-down hook slipped and hit the left clutch/brake handle assembly with some considerable force. I didnt think anything of it, but when I got to my destination and began to unload the bikes I found that the plastic housing for one of the cables going to the clutch (I think) was broken. There was a metal shaft with some spacers and a small spring that came from inside the housing. I tried to start the bike, but the only thing that happens is that the temperature dummy light goes on. No clicking, no starter...nothing. I am throughly convinced that the plastic housing is broken and probably not fixable. Is this some type of safety measure for the clutch or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I promise I will never again use the handlebars to tie the bike down! :(

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I believe it's either the park brake wire or probably (not sure what it's called but on a truck it's the neutral safety switch), you should be able to override it by completing the circuit to between the two wires. The wire set closest to the rider is the park brake wire I believe. Havn't done this but I think someone will have some info if you do a search on aftermarket clutch perches, as they don't have all that fancy schmancy crap on them. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Heres the deal: When I pull the clutch in, I can see part of the clutch handle moving inside the broken area. I can imagine that when the clutch is pulled in, it moves the "piston" in or out (cant tell which), and is some type of safety to ensure that the bike is in neutral when starting the engine. The bike will not start in neutral in its current state. It did start in neutral however, before the breakage. I will post pics tomorrow to give you a better idea of my predicament. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just replaced my clutch perch with an aftermarket one. When I took all the electrical crap off I followed the wires down to the left side of the rad the clutch safety switch is the one that is connected to two bullet connectors. You can unplug these and it will start in neutral only or you can plug the bike side of the electrical connection into each other. This will allow you to start the bike in any gear, but be aware that the clutch safety switch is then bypassed and you can turn engine over without the clutch being pulled 9 good while in gear) The other set of wires can be just unplugged, this is the wire set for the park brake (a while plug). Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
LOL, I never thought of looking down there!! Oops!! :banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it! Thanks for the help. I tried successfully to start the engine, but it had to be in neutral to do so. I guess this is not a problem, except when I am on the trail and I stall out. Then I have to fool around with the gear selector to find neutral to start the bike again. Maybe I will try to make a "jumper wire" to complete the circuit and start without having to be in neutral.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You don't even need to make a jumper!, just trace the wires down to the conection one is female and one is male. Just incase you didn't get the talk from your old man; psssssttt they fit together :thumbsup: ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts