Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals I need a summer project...
I want to eather get my rappy runnin faster or handiling better.
We are looking at about a 500 dollar budget.

I just need some ideas... I ride on open roads and 60 inch trails...
Some track... Mostly fast smooth ridin.

Just some ideas and opinions. I though about a different parking brake lever and things like a temp gage or a dyna tek ignition...
Oh and what are the pros and cons of those???

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
with a $500 budget there isn't much handling wise you can do but a steering stabilizer. which would help alot from what i hear. motorwise you could do a piston and cam, or a piston and dynatek, or piston and tb. yeah i think a piston should be a definate if your doin any engine work, and my first suggestion is what i would do. which is what i did. :lol:

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol ok so I am lil guy so no need for bars...or stem..

TECH VS. CP?
HC2 VS HD5050?
tusk p-brake block off? I am not sure what these do/good for.

And what do you like about you clutch lever? My stock one seems OK but I have never tried anything else...

I know 500 is not much but it will give me a lil somthin to do...
Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you want to remain on pump gas it's pretty hard to beat the TQS 11.5:1, which btw is made by CP.

The HDD cam is going to cost plenty by the time you clearance the head and rockers and change out the valve springs. It's a nice piece but really benefits from a bigger valve ported head combo. For your budget, you're realy only left with the hotcams. Debate rages over the 2 vs the 3. If you like to rev out and ride higher rpm most of the time, then get the 3. If you like to lug and ride trails or tigher woods, I'd suggest the 2.

Piston and cam will fit into your $500 budget nicely and buying a used HC should give you some $$ for one of the cheaper steering dampners. A SD should be considered a "must have".

·
Registered
415 Posts
:stupid: :lol: i got the tech 11.5:1 and hc2. everyone will tell you to get the hc3, but it all depends on what you do like sprinter said. and from a dyno the hc2 has 2hp more throughout the first 3/4 of the power spread until the very top and it only gives up 2 hp at peak. i don't really see why the 3 is better, but i don't ride wide open dunes.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cks/001-40.jpg

i just changed my clutch lever cause it was ugly with the holes for the p brake. but it did actually make the pull easier. and a p-brake block off just gets rid of the gotty mechanism on the caliper, and supposedly makes the brake feel better. i didn't notice it, but i didn't want it getting hung up once i took the cable and lever off.

personalizations like bars, handguards, grips, levers, case savers, pb block offs, and graphics are all good things.

which btw here is a cheap place for graphics. http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/showitems_dc_622.htm

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys I really appreciate the tips...
I'm gunna give it some time and possibly wait awhile to go with the 5050 and do it right the first time. I think the HC2 is more my style... But I do a lot of drag racin... I don't know which would be better for what but it looks like for 500 I can get a nice upgrade...
If anyone else would like to share ideas let me have em!

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:stupid: :lol: i got the tech 11.5:1 and hc2. everyone will tell you to get the hc3, but it all depends on what you do like sprinter said. and from a dyno the hc2 has 2hp more throughout the first 3/4 of the power spread until the very top and it only gives up 2 hp at peak. i don't really see why the 3 is better, but i don't ride wide open dunes.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cks/001-40.jpg

i just changed my clutch lever cause it was ugly with the holes for the p brake. but it did actually make the pull easier. and a p-brake block off just gets rid of the gotty mechanism on the caliper, and supposedly makes the brake feel better. i didn't notice it, but i didn't want it getting hung up once i took the cable and lever off.

personalizations like bars, handguards, grips, levers, case savers, pb block offs, and graphics are all good things.

which btw here is a cheap place for graphics. http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/showitems_dc_622.htm
Yeah I'm with you I love that low end grunt thanks again!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
500? Go with a piston and TB, save the head work for later and do it all at one; port job/bigger valves/big cam.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Throw another 75$ onto it and get your suspension done by wiigstyle that will make you go faster for sure and more comfortable ;)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
500? Go with a piston and TB, save the head work for later and do it all at one; port job/bigger valves/big cam.
Thats what I am thinking! That way I don't spend a bunch and just redo it next year...

So 3+ TB and a CP 102mm 11.1?
What map would I use for this?
And what gain 3 to 4HP?

·
Registered
415 Posts
he was meaning $75 on top of your 500. but that is a special price that if you didn't already send your shocks in, you aren't getting. to rebuild/revalve/respring all 3 of your shocks its like $775 or something through wigstyle. which will help alot with your ride quality.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Go with the Tech piston blue, I think its 11.5:1. I bet you might gain 6hp out of the two and it would be power that would be spread across the entire powerband.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You should do:
Tech Piston 11.5:1 is $210
Hot Cams 3 is like $130 on ebay
+3 TB for about $150-$200

Comes out to $490-$540
That's pretty close. Just need the gaskets and you're set.

I used this combo except for the Tech piston. I went with JE but now going to switch cause I'm getting a +1 head and the JE won't clear the valves.

Got 60hp on the HDD dyno!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
put the money into the suspension... 8)

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK I found the Tech piston 11.5:1 it was 210 so you guys were right.
I think I'll do the piston and the 3+TB then later on head and cam.

Now how do I go about getting a 3+TB? And if I do do I need a new air intake?

·
Registered
325 Posts
OK I found the Tech piston 11.5:1 it was 210 so you guys were right.
I think I'll do the piston and the 3+TB then later on head and cam.

Now how do I go about getting a 3+TB? And if I do do I need a new air intake?
You can contact Daniel at HDD Dyno (DL700 here). You can ship your TB to him and he'll bore it out and ship it back.
You don't need a new filter but it is worth a couple extra hp.
I have ProFlow w/K+N and the lid is off.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can contact Daniel at HDD Dyno (DL700 here). You can ship your TB to him and he'll bore it out and ship it back.
You don't need a new filter but it is worth a couple extra hp.
I have ProFlow w/K+N and the lid is off.
Alright thanks! I think thats the plan depending on if he can have it back in time..
Oh and I'll need a map which my Amsoil intake is = to the pro flow in flow rate.
Which he could probly email me.

So tech piston 210 bucks and 3+TB is anywhere from 130to 200 bucks so about 100 left over...
maybe a Dr.D reverse lever or a Trail tech vapor, if i go with the vapor I think you have to put the key where the reverse is. Is that true?

I know I'm a pain... I like to plan things out tho + my riding has just started and I should have already did this but money was tight. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts