Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the dunes for the first time and I'm taking my 08 Rappy 700 SEII, it has the original tires on it now and I'm going to these sand dunes
My buddy that doesn't have atv experience said I won't need paddles, but I wanted to check with you guys before I pull the trigger.

Should I buy paddles? I found these Skat Trak Extremes 20x10x10 mounted on ITP rims, should I get them or just stick with stock tires? http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20252530&cat=462&lpid=1&search=

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You can get around most of the places out there without paddle tires, but you'll have more fun if you've got them. Both you and the quad will have to work a lot harder to get up the hills on dirt tires and will need some longer run ups at some higher speeds.

Don't make the mistake that so many do and decide to buy paddles when you get there, settling on cheap STI combo sets they sell in the race shop only to wish to return them a day later for something better. Those skats aren't the idea size (only 20" tall and on a 10" rim) and they aren't a steal either at $225, but if you're in a hurry they'd still work fairly well. Otherwise I'd look for a deal on some 21 or 22" tall skat 7 paddle on 8 inch rims.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get around most of the places out there without paddle tires, but you'll have more fun if you've got them. Both you and the quad will have to work a lot harder to get up the hills on dirt tires and will need some longer run ups at some higher speeds.

Don't make the mistake that so many do and decide to buy paddles when you get there, settling on cheap STI combo sets they sell in the race shop only to wish to return them a day later for something better. Those skats aren't the idea size (only 20" tall and on a 10" rim) and they aren't a steal either at $225, but if you're in a hurry they'd still work fairly well. Otherwise I'd look for a deal on some 21 or 22" tall skat 7 paddle on 8 inch rims.
Should I just buy rims/paddles brand new or wait to get them used? What would the dimensions be for 22" tall tires that will fit an 8" rim with 7 paddle, 22x8x7?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Paddle size is just like a normal tire Height X Width X Rim size then they will mention how many paddles are on it and what kind of paddle( Hauler, extreme, glider) and then there is how many times they have been buffed(Single buff, Bead to bead buff, triple buff) Then there is the size of Roll out where it may say 70+ RO. I have 22" 8 paddle haulers on 8" rims. They work nice but I have only ran them on a modded 660 and to be honest they hooked to well. I think the 22" tires will have issues with heel guard clearance if you still have yours on though.

I am no expert on paddles this is just some of what I have learned. If you have the time to order them then I think that Sand toys unlimited is who everyone buys from and to call and they get you the right size tire and paddle. Like MD said buy the right ones from the start and not some cheap-O ones. The good thing about Skats is they are easy to sell because they are the best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paddle size is just like a normal tire Height X Width X Rim size then they will mention how many paddles are on it and what kind of paddle( Hauler, extreme, glider) and then there is how many times they have been buffed(Single buff, Bead to bead buff, triple buff) Then there is the size of Roll out where it may say 70+ RO. I have 22" 8 paddle haulers on 8" rims. They work nice but I have only ran them on a modded 660 and to be honest they hooked to well. I think the 22" tires will have issues with heel guard clearance if you still have yours on though.

I am no expert on paddles this is just some of what I have learned. If you have the time to order them then I think that Sand toys unlimited is who everyone buys from and to call and they get you the right size tire and paddle. Like MD said buy the right ones from the start and not some cheap-O ones. The good thing about Skats is they are easy to sell because they are the best.
Thanks for stating all that info it's very helpful :) and I'm glad you said something about the 22" tires might having clearance issues, because I do have my stock heel guards on still and don't plan on taking them off.

21-12-8 8pdl haulers from rocky mountain....cant beat'em
For 1 Douglas rim and 1 skat trak tire is $200 so it looks like used is what I will be looking for lol. Thanks for that site though, it is good to know reputable sites that sell ATV equipment :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Whoa 200? I didnt pay that. My total was 330 shipped. I got the gforce wheels though. They work great for me. I mostly race though. 65% racing-35%general riding. With new tires though, theyre yours form the beginning. I had to have he comfort of knowing exactly what a set of tires has gone through. Good luck with whatever you go with and I hope you get a good deal either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts