Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loading up the rappy the other day and seen a little oil forming on the bottom of the oil sump. Thought that a seal might have gone bad so I tried tightening down on the bolts that go to the hose at the bottom of the sump and they were already tight, was going to check the O-ring and replace it after ride.

I didn't think much of it and just grabbed some extra oil cuz it wasn't really low and it was just starting to form up on the bottom of the sump(no cracks visible at the time). Went for a ride, stopped for a break and could see a steady drip coming from under neath, put up on trailer and starting coming out like crazy! Took off the sump when I got home and was cracked all the way around. Already have one on the way, hopefully will be here later this week. Just wondering what might have caused this to crack. I trail ride only on groomed trails.

Also talked briefly to a 700 Raptor rider, he said it was punched out to a 770. I don't recall ever reading about a 700 bored out to that, just wondering if the guy was talking crap?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
well like you said it 10 years old.....10 years of a flopping wiggling oil line will eventually break it loose. or maybe the bolts where too tight

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was loading up the rappy the other day and seen a little oil forming on the bottom of the oil sump. Thought that a seal might have gone bad so I tried tightening down on the bolts that go to the hose at the bottom of the sump and they were already tight, was going to check the O-ring and replace it after ride.

I didn't think much of it and just grabbed some extra oil cuz it wasn't really low and it was just starting to form up on the bottom of the sump(no cracks visible at the time). Went for a ride, stopped for a break and could see a steady drip coming from under neath, put up on trailer and starting coming out like crazy! Took off the sump when I got home and was cracked all the way around. Already have one on the way, hopefully will be here later this week. Just wondering what might have caused this to crack. I trail ride only on groomed trails.

Also talked briefly to a 700 Raptor rider, he said it was punched out to a 770. I don't recall ever reading about a 700 bored out to that, just wondering if the guy was talking crap?

Fatigue.................

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes there are people who have punched it out to 770cc's

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I figured it broke just cuz it's old. Hopefully the oil tank that I ordered will be here before this weekend. I finally got mine tuned for the most part. I know there's a lot more that I can get out of it thou. I picked up a motion pro 90 degree screwdriver so I won't have to take off the carbs to get in there.
I just seen someone posted about a map for a 778 so yeah guess they can go that big, just see mostly 720's on here.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
I've seen them all the way up into the 800's. But strictly boring them out you can go to 105.5 then you have to trench the cases. So I'd guess the guy had a stroker in it, not just a bore.

But like willy said fatigue and I'd assume a little corrosion. Looks like a easy fix, maybe time for a oversized oil tank :D...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts