Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres somthing to keep an eye on ...

just went out riding for a week and on day 3 i noticed my coolent bottle empty when i pulled the hood off i noticed my stainless radiator cover had fallen out of the mounting points at the top and was laying on my radiator i removed it and found 6 holes in the radiator fins and it had been spewing coolent ...was lucky to have caught it in time... i plugged it back up with some putty and managed to ride the rest of the week... the putty didnt work 100% as there was still a trickle of leakage around two of the holes and the quad was loosing about 1/2 coke can each day i rode ... it could have been a bad bad ending ..... im pretty sure it shook loose jumping the quad ..... if you have one CHECK IT EACH RIDE !!!!
:wow:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
heres somthing to keep an eye on ...

just went out riding for a week and on day 3 i noticed my coolent bottle empty when i pulled the hood off i noticed my stainless radiator cover had fallen out of the mounting points at the top and was laying on my radiator i removed it and found 6 holes in the radiator fins and it had been spewing coolent ...was lucky to have caught it in time... i plugged it back up with some putty and managed to ride the rest of the week... the putty didnt work 100% as there was still a trickle of leakage around two of the holes and the quad was loosing about 1/2 coke can each day i rode ... it could have been a bad bad ending ..... im pretty sure it shook loose jumping the quad ..... if you have one CHECK IT EACH RIDE !!!!
:wow:
Glad u caught it in time, but thats why a good reason to not use those covers..that and they reduce the amount of wind getting to the radiator thus allowing it to get hotter faster...

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I got my cover for roost protection. This is true some really restrict air I went thru 3. This also serves as a reminder to check every nut and bolt often to ensure it's tight. Imagine that'd been your oil plug.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
X2 on this, I've seen this before and we use some rubber adhesive to make a spacer between the protector and the rad to avoid this... The problem I've seen was with the Pro-armor grill, it rattles so much that it eventually cracks and then starts chewing on the rad. With the rubber thing we use (it's like 1mm thick, rubber that is adhesive on both sides), not a single problem and no rattles.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got any pics of that rubber and where you placed it ?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
got any pics of that rubber and where you placed it ?
Nah and the bike ain't at home. I basically put one on each corner and one in the center of the grill... Just like 1 inch square of it as as thick as needed for it to be squeezed between the grid and rad... It's about 1/2" if I remember right?

The rubber thing is something my friend brought along, I have no idea where he got that from or who makes it, or even what it's for.

I'll take some pics when I get a chance... The bike is at a friend's house and is undergoing surgery :p Finished installing 11:5 tech piston last night and got a bunch of small things to fix.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was lucky that when i could smell the coolant that i actualy pulled the hood off and checked the radiator via the cap ... it was totaly empty and yet the coolant bottle was full.... just goes to show dont think the radiator has coolant just because the overflow bottle is full... ill be checking the radiator every ride from now on ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts