Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an oil leak yesterday that's coming from the output shaft seal that's behind the front sprocket. When I was checking it out, I noticed that my front sprocket nut was bigtime loose.

Question, I have read that these seals leak, but what actually causes it? Could it just go?.. or because my front sprocket was loose, could that have done it?

Thanks.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
The seals go bad with a build up of dirt & small sand/rock around the seal, common with raptors that still have the factory sprocket cover, it hides all that dirt in there. A more common cause is aiming a power washer nozzle around the front sprocket, this penetrates the seal and causes and oil leak. The seal is very easy to change.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not sure if this is completely true but I have heard that having the chain too tight will take a toll on that seal as well...

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
Chain too tight won't affect the seal until it's damaged the bearing behind the seal - in which case you have a lot more to deal with than just the seal.

Sprocket loose can allow the spacer behind the sprocket to rock around, and it is what's really in contact with the seal... also, there's an o-ring between the spacer and the shaft, and a rocking spacer can allow oil to leak past that o-ring (or damage it)...

Try tightening the sprocket first, and see if the leak stops - if so, then it was just a loose spacer issue - if not, the seal, the o-ring or both are damaged and need replacement.

Please report back with your results!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. I have a new seal and o-ring. Changing today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the seal today but not the o-ring... it seemed fine. I ran the bike for about 15 minutes with no more leaking oil. Thank goodness.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
Did you clean off and dry all of the old oil that leaked out so you can notice if a new leak begins ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya.. keeping my fingers crossed for the new seal. I used locktite around the OD of the seal and oil for the ID.

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey fellas,
Same issue here with my 02. Not leaking alot but enough to where it is starting to worry me. There is an o-ring behind the sprocket spacer from what I can read but is there another seal that I can replace as well?? From previous posts it sounds like there is a seal that can be changed from outside the case? Also, whats the best way to get a chain with no master link off without breaking the chain? Do I even need to take the chain off or will the sprocket just slide off? Easy job?? I'm getting at wits end with this quad!!

·
Love/My/Kid
847 Posts
raptorz71 there is 2 lock bolts behind the rear caliper and 2 adj bolts with lock nuts on top of the axle housing, just loosen the chain and pull it off

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
RaptorZ - the o-ring seals between the inside of the spacer and the output shaft. This is a fixed seal, the shaft and spacer rotate together.

The spacer extends into the oil seal in the case. This is the most likely place for a leak because the spacer rotates in this seal as the shaft turns.

Both the o-ring and the oil seal can be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks QuadManiac! I hope you realize how much money and aggrivation you have saved me!! Your a great asset to this forum as well as the rest of these guys on here!! Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
Awwww, shucks...I'm gonna blush. You're welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a question for any of you. I have an 02 raptor that needs the retaining clip behind the front sprocket, on the counter shaft I believe it's called. I've googled and googled but can't find where I can buy a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts