Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems to be running very hot ever since I did my clutch upgrade (heavier springs, and added the full plate). The fan runs almost constantly and I get the occasional bubbles in the ressi tank. The ressi tank also drips coolant out of the overflow tube on to the frame. I have had the light come on three times while riding in WV right after the new clutch install. I have checked for air locks in the system, checked the waterpump and it seems fine... I was thinking head gasket, but it seems wierd that right after I did the clutch this started happening. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanx

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Plus 1 on what melon farmer said. An upgraded clutch didn't cause over heating.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
+2. Also what if you didnt get the clutch tight enough and i could be slipping a little bit?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
He should feel it slip under acceleration especially in higher gears. I'd say his fan quit working; blown fuse, bad relay sumin down those lines. He said it over heated idling so even if clutch was bad idling in neutral you can't notice. It could coincident it(fan) quit now.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I run a cometek head gasket in my 778 @ 13.25:1 overall compression with the .75 the 5mill stroke hotrod crank adds. So I'd suggest those others with more experience may know a better one.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
He should feel it slip under acceleration especially in higher gears. I'd say his fan quit working; blown fuse, bad relay sumin down those lines. He said it over heated idling so even if clutch was bad idling in neutral you can't notice. It could coincident it(fan) quit now.
Probably not the fan as he did mention his fan is now running all the time.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i would take the water pump cover off and start it to see if the pump propeller is even moving.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Probably not the fan as he did mention his fan is now running all the time.
I missed that I guess. One things for sure the clutch didn't do it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I checked thew water pump it spins. Thermostat is good. I just removed the head and I'm pretty sure it was the head gasket. The gasket was one of those three piece gaskets.... The exhaust valves have a lite rust coating and the piston relief cuts had some sludge in them (smelled like grease). The new gasket should be here tomorrow. I'll have to see what happens.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Good luck getting it back up and going. You may wanna check the head and the jug to make sure they're true. If they ain't perfectly flat it'll continue to blow gaskets. If they uneven a machine shop can deck the head or jug maybe both. Hopefully it don't need machining. Hopefully just a bad gasket was the problem and not something caused gasket to fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts