Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here :). I have an 06 700 se, purchased it a few months ago so I am new to the awesome world of raptors! I have maybe 20hrs of riding on it. All stock except for K&N air filter. I just noticed that when trail riding (mostly first gear, relatively low rpm's) temp light came on, along with the fan. Stopped and let it cool off. Both the fan and light came on again later that day, and it wasn't being driven hard. Air temp outside was maybe 15 deg C, no mud in the rad or anything. Once at home I drained the coolant, flushed with fresh water, cleaned rad really well and vacuum filled the system. This held properly so I added fluid. Let it idle for maybe 15-20 min and the temp light/fan came back on. I have a temp gun and the rad and hoses were 220 deg's +. Coolant level in ressy dropped at first to low level then as it heated up came back to full. I’m not losing any coolant out of the ressy or water pump weep tube as far as I can see. oil level is perfect and the oil is clean. no idle sputters or engine noises out of ordinary, exhaust is normal. Fan seems to come on at the right time as well, well before the temp light does.

Any Ideas as to why it runs so hot/heats up so quick?

Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I would say that KnN aint helping. Its getting more air so it needs more fuel. Check the spark plug. If it white, your lean if its brown, your ok and if its black, your rich. Being lean will make it run hotter. So not good.

Do you run with or without the air box lid on?

Do you have a fuel controller on it?

Could be the water pump going. I could see that option if it wouldent re-circulate the coolant properly.

First check the spark plug following this pic:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes I do run with the airbox lid on. I don't have a fuel controller. My plug is white at the side electrode and center electrode, and black/grey at the treads. I have properly cleaned my K&N several times and it looks good but I could try something else. Might be stupid question but with the water pump issue, is there a way to test it? I have had the rad cap off and it looks like the coolant is swirling near the top. I have driven it harder when I first got it, although it was cooler outside and I never had it heat up like this.

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
The spark plug is white so its running lean. Thats not good. Its time for you to invest in a fuel controller.

If you aint going for internal mods and just keep it simple, get a dobeck style fuel controller. Then do a plug chop to see the colour of the plug. This consists in running the bike 1/4 throttle for a while then shut the engine off while driving. Check the plug brown OK next screw on the dobeck controller 2/4 throttle and so on and so forth until you get the right setting plug colour for each screw on the controller or just dyno the bitch and be done with it. I also suggest taking the lid off when you have the fuel controller so you will get more OOMPH out of it!

If you plan on doing internal mods Big Bore, Cam, Piston, valves, port and polish then i would say go with a Power commander 3 or 5 depending on your finances plus a good dyno session to dial it in properly. You will have to dyno it each time you mod the internals or muffler or intake.

A pro will chime in im pretty sure and will probably have more specific info for you. But im trying my best to help.

The plug is white! Your running LEAN = BAD so more heat created. You can blow an engine this way.

Best bet is a fuel controller to richen it some and get that nice brown tan on the spark plug!

·
Registered
850 Posts
If its all stock, just put the stock air filter back on. Does it have the spark arrestor in the exhaust? Sounds like something else is your problem. Lean can make it run hot yes, but if your still running the lid the K&N shouldn't be flowing that much more air to make it run that lean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again guys. I wish I had more history on the machine, but that’s the downfall of buying used. I still enjoy the tinkering :) Anyways I will eventually look into a fuel controller and dyno for sure fast frenchie. The cash won't be an issue as long as I can get the thing running good again. I really appreciate the advice.

And thanks melon farmer, I will get rid of that K&N as well and try stock. Also the spark arrestor is M.I.A... :mad: damn kid must have owned it before. But yes it is stock otherwise.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
That spark arrestor MIA and the KnN...Ahhhh thats why your running lean. Get the original filter on and lid on and it should be alot less lean even if the sparky is removed. It will help for sure. Then GO RIDE LOL!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
yes your choice k&n or s/a. One of those has to be on to richen it a little. Dobecks go cheap on the parts for sale section or ebay.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The only time I had similar symptoms, my fan wasn't turning on (it was defective, had to replace it). Are you 100% positive it's coming on? I don't think running lean would cause enough heat to turn the dummy light on.

Sensor maybe?

I installed a temp gauge on mine after the fan incident to make sure I'm never in doubt about the temp. It's an inline mechanical gauge I got from TQS. On top of being very useful it looks good too and I can quickly gaze at it when driving around to make sure everything is all right.

200-220 is about what I get when I slow poke it on a hot day (otherwise it hangs at about 180-200), it's hooked to the top radiator hose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys. I am currently getting another spark arrestor and looking for an OEM air filter. Any suggestions on other air intakes or stick with stock, because I will have to buy the OEM one as I didn’t get it with the quad when I bought it.
Also Trespasser I will look into a dobeck system as well.

qcraptor, I am positive the fan is coming on. I comes on well before the light does. I'm sure the temp sensor is working ok as well because I had a temp gun and could see how hot the cooling system was. 220 degs + with maybe 15-20 min of idle. I understand the gun isn't 100% accurate as an actual sensor would be but she gets really hot and trips the light! This is during both extended idle and slow trail riding. I don't drive the crap out of it by any means.

Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Well if your going for a Dobeck forget the stock crap and let it breathe! The Dobeck is money better spent than a stock filter and sparky thats for damn sure! No sense in putting it back to stock. Just buy one asap! Just putt the rappy in the yard from time to time until you get a dobeck. Just dont be going crazy! And start a thread about wanting a stock filter and sparky if you dont have a choice for now. Im sure alot of members have theirs laying around collecting...uhmmm i forget what stock filters collect LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts