Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is the second time its overheated on me. I got stuck a month ago and it overheated. Today I had it out and got bogged down in some snow, nothing major and it started overheating. Then it ran like smurf, until I put it on reserve, but I have gas. I have no clue. What should I check? Yes it has coolant. There is a very very small leak in my radiator, but I can't see that being the main issue. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
does your fan work? does the coolant pump work? Are you positive the engine is overheating and it isnt a light/electrical glitch?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the fan came on the first time, but not the second. I assume the coolant pump works, becuase its been using coolant and I have no idea about a glitch in the light/electrical. A friend of mine brought up a good point though, he thinks its running too lean, which wouldn't surprise me cause it needs re jetted bad, im just waiting for my header pipe, should have it at some point next week. Whats your take on the whole" too lean"

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
too lean would probably make your headers glow. It's certainly possible you are too lean. Run your quad full throttle in third and shut it down at full throttle and check your plug for color. Should be light brown and clean.

·
Registered
77 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
too lean would probably make your headers glow. It's certainly possible you are too lean. Run your quad full throttle in third and shut it down at full throttle and check your plug for color. Should be light brown and clean.
I thought the headers did glow even on a stock bike?? I have heard a bunch of people say they were worried that their headers would glow red. It is said that it is completly normal. All my friends raptors even the 700's the headers glow in the dark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, like i said before, i dont know if it's you but you should check you thermostat. Take it off and put it in a container full of very hot water. If your thermostat open, it is not your problem.
Take the cap off your radiator when the engine is runing. If your pump runs ok, you will see your fluid flowing a bit from right to left i think.
Make sure you dont have air in your system ( hoses)
Inspect your fan to make sure that everything is fine. Put the bike inside a garage with an exhaust hose on your pipe going outside and let it run t'ill the fan start.
Or, you can buy a high flow radiator, that's what i have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the headers that glow, it is normal. My raptor GYTR headers glow and my 4 in 2 in 1 yoshi on my 900rr glows too.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Bad water pump/gasket and radiator caps have caused overheating issues on our bikes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you have a small leak in your cooling system this could cause your overheating. Cooling systems are designed to run under pressure. They do this because water boils at 100 celcius, unless under pressure. The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. The lower the pressure (leak) the lower the boiling point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts