Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently i went out on my bike and the dummy temp light came on. The first thing I thought to check/replace was the thermostat. When I took my old thermostat out it was completely warped sideways (added photo), I’ve never seen this before and I can’t think of what would cause it so any input would be welcome. It is kinda worrisome.

Anyways I replaced it with a new one and was sure my problem was solved. Nope. Still get the light around the same amount of time into riding. I notice two things. 1. My fan doesn’t seem to come on even when the engine is very hot but I know the fans on these things are kinda tricky. I still would assume the fan would come on in temperatures hot enough to trigger temp light... 2. When hot the coolant in the reservoir isn’t hot and doesn’t bubble at all (it slightly above the full line). I haven’t done a lot of looking into it but it doesn’t seem like it’s circulating coolant at all even with the original stuck open and now new thermostat.

I feel like my issue is most likely either a bad water pump or bad fan now but I’m so confused how i would have two failures in the coolant system at the same time (one of those being the mangled thermostat). Bad head gasket would mean leaks right? Possibly air in coolant system? (I didn’t change the coolant or burp it after thermostat swap, but it overheating at the exact same time seems like the thermostat solved nothing). I don’t know, any advice?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fan not coming is an issue, especially if you let it idle alot or ride in 1st or 2nd gear. You can use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fan not coming is an issue, especially if you let it idle alot or ride in 1st or 2nd gear. You can use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the engine.
Yeah, it took this post a few days to show public. Since then I connected my fan straight to 12v and nothing. The fan is shot. I now wonder if the faulty fan causing overheating could have caused the thermostat to fail. Got a new one on the way hopefully this fixes it and I don’t have any coolant circulation issues.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
I took my old thermostat out it was completely warped sideways (added photo), I’ve never seen this before and I can’t think of what would cause it so any input would be welcome.

View attachment 139010
This is more common then people think, but you caught it just in time. Usually the little silver shaft comes loose and is pushed around the coolant system. Many times it's found in the radiator and falls out when the radiator is removed. Then, it's, what is that and where did it come from.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is more common then people think, but you caught it just in time. Usually the little silver shaft comes loose and is pushed around the coolant system. Many times it's found in the radiator and falls out when the radiator is removed. Then, it's, what is that and where did it come from.
When you say the little silver shaft are you talking about the part that is bent on it? So i don’t have to worry since it’s still intact?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
When you say the little silver shaft are you talking about the part that is bent on it? So i don’t have to worry since it’s still intact?
Yes, the silver shaft about 1/16 x 3/4 in long.

Reactions: Blake Lawson
1 - 8 of 8 Posts