Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
First of all I would like to thank everyone for the vast amounts of information that I have read already. Huge, HUGE help. I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly or in the correct spot as it is my first post but I seem to be having issues with my 660 overheating. I just recently put a new cylinder and piston and rings etc. in. This was my first attempt at such a thing and all I had was a Clymer manual and tools (feel pretty good about that). I had to replace the stator cover as well because the old had been busted by the previous owner and "welded". Now, I installed a new duel carb and set the fuel tank on her and hit the starter and she fired right up. Idles strong, bogged when i hit the throttle so i decided to do some screw tuning and i think she is where she needs to be or at least close to it. However, after about 10 minutes or so of idling and hard butnquick throttling to check, the temp light comes on. When I kill the power, it sounds as if the engine itself is boils and crackling/popping. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing I need to start with the cooling system? Thermo, water pump, etc?? Again thanks so much in advance guys!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Did you bleed your cooling system? Or have you touched it at all since you got the bike? Your clymer should have a trouble shooting guide in it for this btw. Could be a multitude of things, but start with easy stuff first of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey! Thanks for the reply! Flushed the system and all seems to be working fine now! Just working on tuning the carb bc it seems to want to try and cut out about 1/4 throttle through 1st gear, seems the rest of the gears are fine but I also noticed when I left of the throttle getting ready to go back down through the gears it was spitting and backfiring a bit, Im guessing she is running lean? Sorry just thinking outloud 😂😂. Anyways thx again!!

·
Master of the Electron
14,895 Posts
After 10 minutes of idling the fan should have come on - if it didn't I'd suggest following up that issue first. Without the fan, there's not enough air passing through the radiator to cool the system, even at idle. While riding the fan is seldom needed due to plenty of air flow.

Re the backfire on decel, open your fuel screws up another 1/4 turn each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks for the response QM I read on another post that you had commented on about 1/4 to half or maybe it was 1/4 to 3/4 throttle that bogging could be or rather is a needle issue, tore the carb tops off and saw that the needles that were in it were clipped in the third notch from the top so I moved them to the fifth notch and that solved the bogging. I will use your knowledge and adjust the screws accordingly. Quick question though, if my air box isn't sealing correctly bc its busted up would that cause too much air? Or is it most likely the screws alone? Thanks again for the responses gentlemen!!

·
Master of the Electron
14,895 Posts
The more easily air flows into the carb (lid cracks, holes, etc.) the leaner the A/F mixture will be. It doesn't take too much before increasing the main jet sizes becomes necessary. It has less effect at idle speeds.

Stick with what you've got for now - a bit of duct tape to cover the leaks can help you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Awesome! Thanks again man. I noticed last night that the "dowel" looking pieces that come off the back of the left and right carb, one of them is really short, so the smaller tube that connects there and then runs into the larger intake tube(?) Is not staying on very well. This is an aftermarket carb system but I don't know how they have two different lengths on that dowel, thinking if I get a small hoseclamp to secure that may help because I am unsure if you can replace the little silver tube that seems to be fastened into the carb, otherwise a longer segment of hose may do the trick? I looked at both an OEM diagram of the carb system and intake system from Partzilla and for some reason that "dowel" isn't identified. I will troubleshoot and see how it goes, thanks a ton QM, always saving everyone's tail!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts