Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have it for there 700? its 385 bucks I just paid 900 from not using the clutch for shifting just letting off the gas replaced 3 shift forks and a fifth gear

If anyone has this let me know sounds like a good plan....still don't know why its any different then banshee type overrides what is so different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
That sucks.......
I guess I'm in for trouble as I rarely use the clutch to shift up or down. How many hours were on your bike?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
That's sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune :(


For those of you that do not know what an Override Tranny is,

with an overide tranny you do not use the clutch to upshift, you just pin the throttle and go thru the gears, that's the purpose of it, however the drawback is if you have to chop the throttle or let off the gas for any reason you have to pull the clutch in or it tears shit up internally.

That's why I will never run an override on my duner/hill shooter, to much can go wrong to fast and the last thing you think about is pulling in the clutch when shit gets hairy.

It's the prefered set up for flat drag's and some hill shooters run an override. I have seen claims of dunable overrides but I have not heard of anyone having any luck with them if they forget to pull the clutch in under power. Same story everytime, back to the builder for repairs. Just not worth it IMHO


If you want to use your bike for anything else other than just a flat dragger I would not reccomend an override trans. Train your self to fan the clutch when you speed shift. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
That's sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune :(


For those of you that do not know what an Override Tranny is,

with an overide tranny you do not use the clutch to upshift, you just pin the throttle and go thru the gears, that's the purpose of it, however the drawback is if you have to chop the throttle or let off the gas for any reason you have to pull the clutch in or it tears shit up internally.

That's why I will never run an override on my duner/hill shooter, to much can go wrong to fast and the last thing you think about is pulling in the clutch when shit gets hairy.

It's the prefered set up for flat drag's and some hill shooters run an override. I have seen claims of dunable overrides but I have not heard of anyone having any luck with them if they forget to pull the clutch in under power. Same story everytime, back to the builder for repairs. Just not worth it IMHO


If you want to use your bike for anything else other than just a flat dragger I would not reccomend an override trans. Train your self to fan the clutch when you speed shift. Just my .02
Nice write up. What makes it tick? What parts are changed and whats different about the setup?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Most people run a 2-4 override that's second thru 4th gear. The gears are straight cut so the trans can shift under power with out the clutch. It's fairly simple yet spendy and as outlined above you have to remember to pull the clutch in before you let of the throttle or it kicks it out of gear so hard it bends the shift forks and in some cases breaks gears. That's the quick explanation, I'm sure Sparky or Kenz cycle tech can explain it in better detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Most people run a 2-4 override that's second thru 4th gear. The gears are straight cut so the trans can shift under power with out the clutch. It's fairly simple yet spendy and as outlined above you have to remember to pull the clutch in before you let of the throttle or it kicks it out of gear so hard it bends the shift forks and in some cases breaks gears. That's the quick explanation, I'm sure Sparky or Kenz cycle tech can explain it in better detail.
Ok so they are actually switching out the tranny gears for straight cut gears? I been a auto tranny builder for years. Straight cut gears are actually stronger too. The only reason they dont use them much in the auto industry is cuz they wine/make noise if they dont have an angle to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
You aren't switching out the gears. The override is actually modifications made to the stock gears and shift drum.

The duneable override is available in 1-4 override with a manual fifth. This means that you can shift like an override in 1-4 gears, but you need to use the clutch to shift into 5th gear.

There are some big differences between duneable overrides and regular overrides. Like state before on a regular override transmission if you let off the gas with out pulling in the clutch the gears try to put themselves into neutral. Then the shift forks get bent because the gears are placing a lot of forcing on them trying to get into neutral, but the shift drum is in a gear position and won't let the shift forks move.

On our duneble overrides they are the best of both worlds. You can shift them like an override, but you can also ride it exactly like a stock transmission. The key is in how you cut the gears and the angle you put on the dogs. This allows you to shift like an override, but the angle isn't too steep to where the gears apply to much force and bend the shift forks. The result is a transmission that acts just like a stock one, but allows you to shift under power threw 1-4th gears.

The duneable overrides were created because people kept tearing up the regular overrides. The were also tested and put threw their paces to make sure they would hold up and work properly. Because we all know that tearing a raptor engine down the tranny isn't a real fun or easy job, especially when you have to do it every time you forget to pull in the clutch. The only real drawl back to the duneable overrides is that there is slightly more wear on the sides of the shift forks. Even though the gears aren't putting a lot of pressure on the shift forks there is still some which will increase the wear on them.

I hope this explains it well. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot and I'll try and answer them the best I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bike had alot of Dune hours on it probably atleast 15 trips with atleast 10 hours of riding on each trip.

I still don't get the whole idea of how letting off the gas doesn't work being that power commander sells a product that lets off the gas to shift...if the power commander product is better then what I do I have it and could install It I guess just never got around to it.

I've tried to use the clutch while shifting its just akward I can't do it at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
integlikewhoa said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
Most people run a 2-4 override that's second thru 4th gear. The gears are straight cut so the trans can shift under power with out the clutch. It's fairly simple yet spendy and as outlined above you have to remember to pull the clutch in before you let of the throttle or it kicks it out of gear so hard it bends the shift forks and in some cases breaks gears. That's the quick explanation, I'm sure Sparky or Kenz cycle tech can explain it in better detail.
Ok so they are actually switching out the tranny gears for straight cut gears? I been a auto tranny builder for years. Straight cut gears are actually stronger too. The only reason they dont use them much in the auto industry is cuz they wine/make noise if they dont have an angle to them.

The tranny gears are still straight cut gears. . . the engagement dogs just don't have an angle on them ( :3question: - at least that's what I understad.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Raptorjunkyard said:
I just paid 900 from not using the clutch for shifting just letting off the gas replaced 3 shift forks and a fifth gear
Do you wear boots?

How hard are you on the shifter?

I try to shift with a light touch and often shift without the clutch. Don't see how it would be an issue. Very little tension is being placed on the shifter so, the forks shouldn't see that much wear?

Hmmmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah I wear athletic shoes and I don't shift very hard at all. I'll probably not use the clutch still over a year for the amount of time it lasted next time I'll just get this override
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top