Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals I'm new to the forum and have found a wealth of info here. I have a question and hope you all can provide some feedback. What do you all think about these paddles. I'm really intrested in getting the Skat Trak Desert Storm paddles for Glamis. Anybody have or tired these before in Glamis, and how do they perform?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&brandId=254&prodFamilyId=6048

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i dont think you will find many people running these in the dunes. Most people run either a hauler or the Edge from Skat trak. The edge will give you more manueverability, while the hauler will give you more straight line traction. If you are duning a lot, get the Edge tires. If you are hillshooting, get haulers.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The desert storm/terrain trak tires are made for hardpacked dirt and sand or very shallow sand. They're not going to give the hookup that even a regular set of haulers would. Unless you're planning to trail ride with these tires (not a great idea anyway) in addition to running the dunes then I'd opt for a more traditional paddle tire.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Give us some info on your ride and what you want out of a paddle. You may be happy with a significantly less expensive tire.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What woulld be good for a basic full bolt on 660? I have haulers but I think they would bog my friends down, he has the same exhaust/intake/ work done puts down about 44-48rwhp.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
he still might spin with haulers. A stock rappy could spin haulers...

·
Registered
350 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
he still might spin with haulers. A stock rappy could spin haulers...
Heres his mod's:
CS big core
jetting
pro-flow K&N
12 tooth front sprocket

What size and how many paddles would be best? He wants to order tires mounted on wheels just for the sand since we dont use them much here :grin_nod:

·
Registered
868 Posts
You could try 20-10-8 7 paddle haulers or 6 paddle extremes. I run 22-11-8 7 paddle haulers and I dune, hillshoot and some drag. 4 strokes just dont like a lot of paddle but you could try a 8 paddle if you want to.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
PSMSand is right on... i would go with 7 paddle haulers. You can hillshoot and dune and not lose much in either. the only real difference is that you cant really rip the face of a small dunes with haulers.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
MaximumOD said:
Hi guys/gals I'm new to the forum and have found a wealth of info here. I have a question and hope you all can provide some feedback. What do you all think about these paddles. I'm really intrested in getting the Skat Trak Desert Storm paddles for Glamis. Anybody have or tired these before in Glamis, and how do they perform?
Depending on your mod level, how often you plan to use them, and what you want out of them (drags, hill climbs, general riding), I would think a set of SandStars would be much cheaper and do an adequate job. I run them and they seem fine for average playing around. Of course, I've never tried any Scat-Trac tires, so I can't tell you the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally I hate sand stars - they just don't hook up enough on a raptor (if you climb any hills). My stock 660 w/8 paddle 20" hauler extremes worked fine with the 12-tooth front sprocket. I don't think 6-paddles is enough. Both 7 or 8 might be fine.

I ended up settling on 22" 8-paddle haulers, 12 tooth front sprocket, then bumped up the rear sprocket a couple teeth (to maintain same gearing I had before - was bogging down a bit too much). The extra 2" of ground clearance makes a huge different when climbing out of idiot holes. I never dig down and get high centered anymore...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have to totally agree with you skramblr :thumbsup: I had sand stars to start out and they got me nowhere. I was always digging myself into a hole and getting high centered or just get stuck trying to do any hillclimb. I hear people saying that the V shaped have more handling than the straight paddle like haulers...but I think the total opposite. When cornering with the sand stars, they grabbed too much and would jerk me and the quad around...however the haulers are smooth and I could climb any hill I pointed the quad up. The sand I ride in is more moist than some other places though

I have stock gearing with 22" but could probably go up a tooth or two in the back. So I will always be sold on haulers from now on!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Hmm, I've had great experience with the sandstars. They're not as good as haulers obviously, but they're not as much money either. IMO a great recreational tire.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The only other sand paddle I've run is the Maxxis Rooster. To me, they totally sucked. I had hope for them as the paddles are very stiff and have something of a cup to the face. I ran them for a few hours and put my SandStars back on. The Roosters dug me to China. I have them on 8" wide wheels and the SandStars are on 9" wide wheels, I don't know if the Roosters would have done better on wider wheels, but the only place they were worth a $hit was in the damp sand, and even there they weren't much better than my knobbies. I do want to try some Haulers and see how much difference they make.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a note, the Sand Stars are a great tire on the right bike. On myZ400 the rear end whips around pretty quickly when turning and any more paddle on that bike would be too much. I like the way they handle on that bike.

Tried them on my Scrambler 400 and they just dug to China - no traction for that heavy bike. On a stock Raptor, the are probably an OK tire. The haulers are a little more money, but well worth it. Once you try haulers, you'll may never want to go back. ;)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Im in the same boat as skramblr.... I am sure he rides at the oregon dunes like I do....I own a lightly modded raptor, as do a few buddies and we all run different haulers. I run 8 paddle 20" reg haulers and like them. Buddies run 22" 8 or 9 paddle haulers..... 9 paddles are too much for the raptor unless modded pretty heavily. My buddy is stubborn and thinks more paddles are better... he originally bought 10 paddle 20" haulers, then made fun of me for "only having 8 paddles".... those were used one trip and he sold them.......... I am thinking of going 22" 8 paddle regular haulers.......

My gf's bike is a z400 that is all stock except a 13t front sprocket (stock 14), and the sand stars are great. After riding both, i can say I am more confident in side hilling with the sand stars, and thats why I bought them for her, so she wouldnt kick her ass trying to keep it straight on a side hill. I personally like the haulers and the challenge.....

also, go haulers first, dont mess around with cheaper tires, you will wish you had haulers and probably end up spending more to get them later.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I made the mistake a few years back of buying a 10x10 rim from ITP and have yet to find a "V" shaped paddle that would fit it properly, i look like a rice burning prelude on sand. It looks pretty bad, is there a "hauler" type paddle tire that will fit a 10" wide rim effectively for the my 01 rappy? I have the yosh with KN jet kit and filter with no air box lid, no engine mods, i was thinking of changin' my front sprocket to a 12 instead of the 13 tooth. As i am married with children i want to avoid buying rims all over again, is there a nice sand tire out there that will my 10x10 rims??

thanks,

When in doubt, power out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
HMMMM is right, i am not sure why or how i managed to order such a wide rim, but i am now stuck with the decision to spend money on both rims and tires or just find a tire that will fit, i was thinking that maybe a 22"x11" hauler might fit well, as the taller height might get the bead to sit properly on the rim. :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts