Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you paint your plastic or just buy new. If you buy your plastic where is the cheapest to get it? and if you paint yours, how good does it look, and what paint do you use? Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn't feel like spending $500 on new plastics so I got some krylon fusion for plastic spray paint. My 700 was white and I didnt like it so I painted it satin black and It actually turned out really good. I put about 4 coats on. You just have to watch that you dont spill any gas when filling your tank cause it will eat the paint quick.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wonder if a gel-coat would work?.... I've used it on a boat and its crazy durable. not sure how well it would work on plastics... might be a terrible idea but maybe someone has tried it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
im actually doing a blue wrap on mines i will post some pics when its done

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've always wondered about rhino lining the plastics.... idk if it would look awesome or really lame.
I've seen some quads that had bed liner sprayed on the plastics. I believe they used LineX. It really looked good. I can only imagine how much more durable they would be. Stuff is tough! I wonder if it would get a chalk look after a while. If you like the look, go for it! :cool:

·
Don't Hesitate Accelerate
118 Posts
Just wondering if any of you paint your plastic or just buy new. If you buy your plastic where is the cheapest to get it? and if you paint yours, how good does it look, and what paint do you use? Thanks.
Have you looked into hydro dipping? I haven't done it myself but it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have you looked into hydro dipping? I haven't done it myself but it looks pretty cool.
My god sir, I just looked this up and WOW!! Way cool! I want to hydro dip my frame carbon fiber =D

·
Registered
51 Posts
A couple of guys on another forum did this and while their results were great after they were done, durability suffered greatly. The problem is that plastic isn't porous and the fact that is flexes means that you can't put the right amount of paint on it. If you flex the plastic one way then more paint would be needed to make up the extra space. Flex it back it the other way and you would need to take paint away. Once the solidarity of the paint has been compromised such as a chip or break then the elements start to get under the paint and off it goes. If it were like a plastic chair or something like that where flex is limited the plastic paint will probably work.

I saw a few paint jobs where it looked awesome when they were done but later reported that eventually the paint chipped or flaked off. If you want to change the color of your quad and not worry about constant touch ups just buy different plastics. The color is already molded in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A couple of guys on another forum did this and while their results were great after they were done, durability suffered greatly. The problem is that plastic isn't porous and the fact that is flexes means that you can't put the right amount of paint on it. If you flex the plastic one way then more paint would be needed to make up the extra space. Flex it back it the other way and you would need to take paint away. Once the solidarity of the paint has been compromised such as a chip or break then the elements start to get under the paint and off it goes. If it were like a plastic chair or something like that where flex is limited the plastic paint will probably work.

I saw a few paint jobs where it looked awesome when they were done but later reported that eventually the paint chipped or flaked off. If you want to change the color of your quad and not worry about constant touch ups just buy different plastics. The color is already molded in.

The whole reason I painted mine was to avoid having to buy plastics. I have not had much trouble with chipping and I trail ride almost every day. My $15 dollars worth of paint is better than spending $500 on new plastics. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I jut painted mine satin black from blue.. change the whole bike to all satin black.. I used automotive flex paint then came with two coats of satin black..

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone thought about using plasti-dip, ruberized spray paint that you can peel off if you want, some people are spraying cars in it for the "wrapped" look might work....

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the right paint is used, its a great alternative to buying new plastics. it will also cover up a lot of light scratches. Yea it looks a little tacky but for all it costs, who cares! Just be carefull with the pressure washer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I painted mine with cellulose paint and laquer, from white to metallic steel(had the paint in stock) so cost was just the thinners,
I ride fast trails and rough dusty stone tracks, rivers etc etc, in the past year it has survived 2 crashes, loads of rocks thrown up, etc etc, never had any problem with it cracking,I just mixed a little plastisizer wth the paint before i put it on, took the plastics off couple of weeks ago,to replace them with some steel grey plastics i bought cheap, and even flexing them when the plastics were off didnt ruin the finish! couple of small scratches here and there but basically it held up good,
best way in my opinion is to try it and see, paint them if no good then replace!!:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
If the right paint is used, its a great alternative to buying new plastics. it will also cover up a lot of light scratches. Yea it looks a little tacky but for all it costs, who cares! Just be carefull with the pressure washer.
check out my pics, mine turned out good. I don't think it looks tacky.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts