Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LTE's look like sh!t!!! Our stockers come painted black, right? Anyone ever tried some high-temp grill black paint on headers?? I know the polished look is awesome but it takes a lot of work to keep em' nice, anyone with the Looney duals knows they aren't pretty from the get go. I'm thinking of painting everything except the cans. Anyone with advice please post. If you have paint brands you've used that worked please HELP!!! :help:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I tried painting my Outlander exhaust once, forget it. Even with 1500F paint, it still bubbled up and came off. Looked worse then before. You're only real bet is to get them ceramic coated. That will last and look 1000x better.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If your going to paint the header you really need to use this stuff made by vht (very hot temperature) its made for headers. The temp varies from 1300-2300 degrees.. I need to paint the wifes exhaust header o her 350 cause she is complaining that its ugly :confused: . I plan on doing that tonight so ill keep everyone updated. Go to vht.com and you should be able to find a dealer that sells it.. I was going to get it powder coated but i just dont have the time. plus its going on hers. not mine :grin_nod:

·
Registered
751 Posts
At around 500 it will lift cause it to crack and break apart.. Its pretty much bullet proof until that certain temp.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The stuff I used was the VHT paint, it was fortified with ceramic as well. Still nfg. The Outlander runs so damn hot, it just burned it off, literally came off like dry powder.

here's what I used

http://www.vhtpaint.com/

On an old chev V8, you might get by as they don't get as hot. However, if you are planning on painting new headers, you will have to strip the stuff that is on there now. It's only a primer to keep them from rusting, it's not a high heat primer and if you put the high temp paint on top of that stuff....it will instantly burn off. Not sure if you knew that already.

good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
how much does the vht cost? i looked on the site but didnt see prices.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
06RAPPY700R said:
If your going to paint the header you really need to use this stuff made by vht (very hot temperature) its made for headers. The temp varies from 1300-2300 degrees.. I need to paint the wifes exhaust header o her 350 cause she is complaining that its ugly :confused: . I plan on doing that tonight so ill keep everyone updated. Go to vht.com and you should be able to find a dealer that sells it.. I was going to get it powder coated but i just dont have the time. plus its going on hers. not mine :grin_nod:
Could you post some pics when you get it done?

onelunglow said:
You could also try the jet-hot stuff. http://www.jet-hot.com :thumbsup:
Thought about this... $$$$. I was thinking the stock exhaust is black, Someplace is making paint that did this, right? I've seen spray cans of "grill" paint. I'm trying to come up with an inexpensive method, if it starts to dull or look shitty - paint it again.

Thanks for the advise so far -- I'll post pics myself when I find something that works. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure, mine glow in the dark.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
im having mine ceramic coated black by polydyn here in houston, he said it with-stands temps up to 2500 degrees, and wont come off. it soaks into the metal

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
kidrock73 said:
im having mine ceramic coated black by polydyn here in houston, he said it with-stands temps up to 2500 degrees, and wont come off. it soaks into the metal
"soaks into the metal" ?
Hmm, can anyone shed light on this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I used VHT on my sledd pipes every year until I anti uped for ceramic coating. The trick to the hi-temp paint is to make sure the surface has a good scuff and wipe it off with a non residu type cleanr ( PPG wax and grease remover works awesome ). Than spray it with thin coats as directed. The main thing is the curing, if you can't bake the parts in a large oven than just run the bike for a short period of time untill you see smoke from the paint, shut it off let it cool than repeat the process. Usually the bubbles are from an oily area on the metal. The stock exhaust paint is done the same way, just baked and cured in an oven.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HMM!!!! YES IT SOAKS INTO THE METAL ON A MOLECULAR LEVEL. HAS TO DUE WITH THE WAY THEY PREP THE METAL BEFORE COATING, THEN THEY BAKE THE CERAMICS INTO THE SURFACE . YES!!!!!!!!!! INTO THE SURFACE. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE TEMP THOU THE BLACK IM HAVING APPLIED WITHSTANDS TEMPS UP TO 2400 DEGREES. THEY HAVE SOME THAT WITHSTAND TEMPS UP TO 3000 DEGREES.

POLYDYN HOUSTON
1-888-POLYDYN (RYAN)

CALL THEM KRANDALL MAYBE THEY !!!!!!!!! CAN SHED SOME LIGHT FOR YOU!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm planning to sand blast em'. I do quite a bit of painting on aluminum and steel so I have lots of surface prep. I would coat them, expensive, but even so I would spring the $$$ but the damn things are so freakin' ugly anyway. The Barkers are definately better looking. LTE's have a seam on top and bottom so the pipes taper for collection, it definately ain't for looks. :'(.

I checked out the vht paint site.... looks like I missed the boat. It says up to 2500 degrees. I click on a color in the bar, and the top says 550 degrees..? WTF that is only about a 1950 degree difference!!!! Maybe I'm a water head, if anybody looked on the site and found something witn the 2500 temp. please let us know. Also, I'm assuming the primer has some heat properties too, maybe that's the missing link???

Krandall said:
whats the rough temp that the header is running?
I am an ass.... Seiously, though. Anybody know how hot they run???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.