Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to powdercoat my nerfs and grab bar. I'll still probably have the nerf bars done, but for almost $50 I figured I could just paint the grab myself. What do you guys think about sanding it down and painting it with some Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating? Seems durable seeing its used on beds and its main purpose is to prevent scratches and its waterproof. Any ideas or tips? How many coats should I be using? Should I cover up the bolt holes when I paint or just sand the inside of them after i'm done?

·
Registered
386 Posts
thats what i did to mine, front and back and it turned out great.
i used 2 coats

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, do you remember what you sanded it down with?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sand blasting works best for pre painting prep. It makes a better surface for the paint to stick to. Personally I would just cleaning the holes up after the piece is painted. Usually that finish looks better.
You should be able to find a shop to PC nerfs and grab bar for not much more than nerfs alone as long as you are planning on having them the same color.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I painted a lot of my parts on my Warrior with that stuff. Works great, is durable and easy to touch up when needed. I glass bead clean all my parts before paint or powder. Gives the material applied something to bite to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was thinking a sand blast or glass beading would be the best way to get everything off there. The grab bar is pretty long so I figured I might as well buy the $14 can of paint to save some money on the powdercoating.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i did all my parts in my back yard and used normal sand paper and cleaned it very well when done,i also did this about 2 yrs ago and the only part wearing threw is the bottom of the grab bar from being vertical : )

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you remember what grit sand paper you used?

·
Registered
386 Posts
i would use 80 grit

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good i'm probably gonna get to it today, thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
no prob. its easy, it will turn out great,just remember the over spray is permanent so be carefull of whats behind it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just sand it yourself and clean it real good. Find some heavy duty paint thats paintable and throw some coats of gloss ontop of it so you can keep a shine. Thats what i did on my grab bar and so far so good.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone thing this could be done with my nerfs too, or should those be brought to be powdercoated?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I did the nerfs on my Warrior and it has held up very well. Easy to touch up if it gets scratched too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds pretty good, how many 6.5 oz aerosol cans do you think it would take for the grab and the nerfs?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not sure at that size. I think the cans I got were 16-20oz maybe? It took 2 cans of the stuff I bought and still had a little left when done.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just finished it, it's flat black, just gotta let it dry for a day...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, it had a little run when I painted it so I cut it out with a razor and threw another coat on, i'm happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts