Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone messed around w/ painting their plastics? Id love to paint mine black with rustoleum bed coating but not sure if it would stick...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Painted mine. Clean the plastics best you can...sand them, use plastic adhesion, then primer, sand, clean, base coat, top coat, wet sand, clear coat. Did mine a year ago, hasn't chipped or flaked

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have several friends who have tried the cheap way out and painted thier plastic. It always turns out fantastic. Then we hit the trails and the complaining begins, scratched, chipped, cracked paint jobs. Unless you simply cant live with the color or faded plastic, I do not recommend doing this. Its a lot of heartache after you spend all the time and effort. The paint just isnt flexible enough.

·
Registered
521 Posts
get better friends who can paint...mine after a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont think my choice of friends has anything to do with paint scratching and cracking off bending plastic. I guess if you putt around the yard and never go into tree covered trails paint might stay on.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i only ride on trails and my rear fenders are broke off the support arms so theyre always flexing..no chips or cracks yet after a year.
as i said with my previous post...gotta use plastic adhesion spray before they get painted

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ocelot13 is correct. I paint for a living. If you want any chance of the paint to last you must clean throughly. Then sand..I use 320...then clean again, and sporay with an adhesion promoter. I use Bulldog. Follow the directions. After that I use either an epoxy primer or Slicksand polyester primer. Sand that and paint.

For something like the bedliner material it is best to check their directions and likely use only the adhesion promoter.

Most important about paint is the prep. I spend hours doing prep work and only minutes actually spraying. If the prep is not right the paint will not be right.

Also if you cn clean it with very hot water that is best. Wheen I spray car interior parts I put them in my dishwasher first if they fit. The heat will pull out anything that is soaked into the plastic like armor all or silicone products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts