Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
take the intake boots and anything rubber off. the paint will crack off.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Im excited to see it all done. I have been thinking of doing the same thing. What color(s) ya gonna go with?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Really like the look of black motors! I honestly don't think it would be bad unless you go crazy with the color, for example, you just need one coat for black, unless you want a clear on top of it. However, if you do like a candy red or lolipop color, it might overheat. Because there are 3-4 coats of powder for "fancy" coatings. But from the sound of it, paint is holding up great, so why take the whole motor apart to individually paint each part if you're getting the same result with just paint?!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The frame is gonna be orange (i think) lol .... n sub frame black. N a Arms black AS well.. ima just do the motor gloss black nothing special. Then ima get new black plastics.

Those intake boots are only there so i have something to stuff a towel in so water won't get in. Ill take them off when I paint.

Also do the even make engine primer? I didn't see any while looking.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I painted the cylinder on mine recently and couldnt find any high heat primer either. I used regular primer and high heat engine paint on top and it has held up good so far. Orange and black will look awsome. You should try and put small orange accents on the engine like the timing plugs and the fins on the head to tie it together a bit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What's the purpose of using two different grit's of sand paper? I sanded it with 220 but also got 400 grit.

I'm planning on doing a little orange out line like maybe water hoses n the Yamaha on the engine case. But I don't want it to be a big huge caution sign driving around lol

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I would just go with 180 or 220 grit sand paper. I actually didnt sand mine at all. I just used air craft remover (aerosol paint stripper). Then shot the black paint right on the bare aluimum.

They show making an engine primer.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
To give you an idea on how nasty aircraft striper is, we use aluminum tape on all seams since it will eat the sealant. use laquer thinner and a stiff brush, factory paint is not that hard to get off. Then go get a good tape and mask off the oil line fitting, intake and any thing you dont want painted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another question I had was... when i paint the engine do I wanna get in installed and started up asap so the paint can cure or does it matter? I don't think ill be getting the frame done for a few more weeks. ( funds r low lol) so if i painted it now it would just be sitting on my work bench.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Mine sat on the freezer for a month this winter before I got it in the frame then sat till march before I started it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I sanded it all down sprayed it down with another coat of alumabrite an washed it off.... so no ima let it dry n then put primer n paint on.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
You just need to make sure all coats of paint are on with in 1 hr or wait seven days to do the do the others. If your in no hurry to get the engine done then I would primer it then wait a week to shoot the color.

And yes Air Craft Remover is very nasty, but it works well. I did my engine while it was all appart with no rubber seals or gaskets installed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What's the reasoning behind doing it within n hour or waiting a week? Also should i wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to make sure all dust is off?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well this is wat i ended up with as my colors. I ended up getting header ceramic paint as my base coat for primer. I didn't wanna not use anything but I didn't want to use stuff that wasn't heat resist due to the fact it may bubble under the paint. Hope I'm right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I don't have anything special done crept exhaust intake in jetting. I'm just making it look good. I may put a cam in it an thats about it

21 - 40 of 77 Posts