Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on painting my wheels and frame black, but I will be using a rubber undercoat to make it a little more durable and I was wondering if any of you have done this and if so did you sand the polished aluminum first?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would suggest powdercoating over painting... and yeah, you're going to want to rough up and surface to create a mechanical bond between the coating and the substrate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honda_KiLlEr660R said:
I am planning on painting my wheels and frame black, but I will be using a rubber undercoat to make it a little more durable and I was wondering if any of you have done this and if so did you sand the polished aluminum first?
In my opinion you shouldnt rubber undercoating... ill make a mess when it gets hot!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
so spraying the wheels is a bad idea? I was considering this too...with undercoat that is. Spray bomb=poor mans DuPONT

·
Registered
960 Posts
ok i did the wheels a while back in spray on truck bed liner and it looked nice tell the very out side wears off lol then you have a streak of siver and i just did my frame in 3 coats of metalic black rusoiuma and 3 of clear coat

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree, why waist money on powder coating unless it' a show bike or it's all for show and shine. I see a lot of people do it thier race quads out here and the arroyos and washes just sand blast that shit right off. Spend the money where it really counts!! Use some krylon and just touch it up when it gets scratched.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well just for shits and giggle I decide to paint with just some plain old krylon, could I get that kind of shine out of a spray paint and if I go black should I use a metallic or gloss?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i dont think you will get the shine from a spray can...

·
Registered
735 Posts
i use spray for my a arms. dont really care how they look, long as they dont rust...they are constanly abused ( I run small trees over and make my own path...utility atv substitute)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well how about the plastics then

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks pelele for that link... that dude looks sweet! im seriously considering painting mine now-although it prolly will be a solid color (easier touch up) have you put it to the test of limbs/rocks/etc yet?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
powder coating is the way to go. I'm actually getting my frame done, along with the a-arms,swing-arm, motor, ..ect..
had it done once before, metallic blue …..silver flake with a transparent blue along with a clear coat..engine is silver flake with clear coat. Broke the frame …real bad!

Spray paint may be cost effective when touching up, (i agree), but powder coat looks so much better, is easier to clean, and it won't blow off like some spray paint when you power wash it. Powder coat also has a higher tolerance for resisting chemicals, (some spray paints will come off in the presence of brake fluid, gas, and oil, and some soaps, cleaners.)
Evenmore, powder coat is more durable than spray paint, and can flex with what its bonded to more than spray paint. it also absorbs impacts better than paints.

Powdercoatings bad side...when you chip it, it can crack and lose the bond to the metal. therefore letting moisture to get under the coat, and more often than not stay trapped there. In some cases it will rust under the coating and you won't be able to see it. Spray paint or traditional paint coatings tends to bubble when this happens. If you keep up touching up all the chips and dings there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Pelele how much was it for ur paint job on ur plastics?

·
Registered
142 Posts
twistedwedge said:
thanks pelele for that link... that dude looks sweet! im seriously considering painting mine now-although it prolly will be a solid color (easier touch up) have you put it to the test of limbs/rocks/etc yet?
The only ridint i do here is dirt and mud... there are no sand or hills or even rocks here in florida....
The only rocks i see are the ones from the people i ride with throw at me when i'm not the first one on the ride line... but even like that it has hold on very good...

JAMBOYRAPTOR said:
Pelele how much was it for ur paint job on ur plastics?
Well i only paid the labor... and that was paid with extra materials to the painter....
He used to work for me... so i gave him extra material.... honestly i dont know how much a good painter would charge... but just the paint was about $400.00

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
plastics look nice...real nice.., I thought you were talking about frame and metals..can't powder coat plastics..at least as far as know...?? They may melt in oven..
anyway, never thought about painting plastics either.. good idea!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Krylon plastic paint is great IF you do it right, but do not get gas or any other solvent on it, or it will melt right off. If you put stickers or graphics on the paint, make sure that is where you want them, they will peel off the paint. As far as the frame goes, powder coat is the only way to go, it is tough, fairly inexpensive and durable. There are a multitude of colors available as well. You can powdercoat plastic, but it is expensive and new. Your average joe will not have the equipment. Go to exriders.com, a user named Pappy does excellent work and is inexpnsive, he has a sub forum for BK Performance. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=62

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Thanks for the info phatplat, figured it be a matter of time before they could powder coat plastics! It still new to me.
gotta go check this exriders site out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts