Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah so even b4 i could realize what was happening i had a nice hold on the inside on both my pant legs and the pants melts/burned onto the headers. i didnt get them ceramic coated but i was wondering 2 things; 1 being does anyone have any good ideas on how to get my melted pants off my header because it looks like shit and 2 can i still get them coated at a local place or is it too late?

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow that is a new one :confused: i havent heard anyone of that happening to yet, as far as the header no idea of how to get that off, maybe try (on your mark spray )off that stuff eats thru almost anything ink based and plastic for sure but highly flammable, or try using a putty knife.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ceramic coating won't keep a pipe cool enough to prevent melting plastic. You will need real heatshields. Or wear moto pants inside moto boots. Not only safer, but no fluttering in the breeze.

Try acetone to dissolve the plastic.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Try some gray scotch brite or double ought fine steel wool and mothers.
It sounds like you running way to much exhaust temp, what map are you running?

·
Registered
9 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Try some gray scotch brite or double ought fine steel wool and mothers.
It sounds like you running way to much exhaust temp, what map are you running?
That is exactly what I used to get my son's rubber sole off of my headers. The headers were a little scratched up afterwards but eventually the scratches went away from the heat. My question is, how do I keep the header temp down?

·
2 Time (09,10) RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
655 Posts
It's not too late to coat them. I believe they run them through a chemical process to clean them anyway. I've seen some pictures of some pretty rough and rusted car headers that come out looking incredible.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I melted mine on my HMF's. The aftermarkets are usually larger and straighter bends through that area and dont have heat shelds for that area. There is an few aftermark heat sheilds for that area but I just use a little header wrap on that one section and it seems to have done the trick

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always wrap my head pipes with thermo tec cool it.....it helps alittle

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me. It will eventually melt and burn off if you don't mind riding all day. I would recommend getting some heat shields. I got mine off of Ebay by typing in heat shield into the search field. As for lowering header temps, it is vital that you are running the right map. I would check and make sure you aren't running to rich because that will heat it up worse in the mid pipe. I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Curtis Sparks website warns that ceramic coating on their pipes actually causes a little "more" heat retention.

I've heard of some people choosing Yoshi exhaust systems because the stock raptor heat shield will bolt right up on the Yoshi head pipe.

I realize that wouldn't help with the LTE's, but it would have helped with the HMF's or any other single exhaust.

I hope to hear more about the new LTE heat shields pretty soon.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Id say for geting it off. try 0000 steel wool, its alot finer than the 00 and then mothers mag polish. thats what I used on my "used" hmf header, takes some work but it looks nice after ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey thanks for all the ideas...now i have to go and try them. i guess my pants might have been a little baggy but its still kinda rediculous to happen on both sides. maybe its the way i ride who knows. I am running a dobeck controller and i was using the numbers 3, 8, 9, 9 i beleive...they were the number in the LTE instructions. I recently changed it to the dobecks recommended for race exhaust and intake, it is running much bettter and alot more power. It confused me becuase LTE sells that controller. Is there any way i can tell if its running to rich or lean? maybe by how hot the headers get? at night there is maybe 8-10 inches i think that are glowing red hot. does that mean anything to anyone here?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I go by the spark plug to judge the rich lean combo.

Put in a fresh plug and start it without touching the throttle let it run for about 5 min and turn it off. pull the plug and compare it to the ones here
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html
adjust if needed

then clean the plug and reinstall and recheck make additional adjustments if needed.

next after warm up and run it at half throttle for 30 sec then hit the stop button w/o letting of the throttle. check plug again adjust if necessary
clean and recheck if you made any adjustments.

next resart let it warm up for a min it then give it 3/4 to full throttlle for 20-30 sec then hit the stop button again. check compair and adjust.

This will give you a fairly ggod veiw of how its running with each of the three pot settings on your dobeck. It won't be perfect but it will get you close. Just keep check your plug everynow and then and make fine adjustments as needed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
just oredered the flame heat shields for my lte duals, how long did it take you to receive these? cant you just really tighten these things down so they dont vibrate

·
Registered
517 Posts
crallin said:
Hallz said:
Those are the heat shields that I have. They rattle really bad at certain RPM ranges. Any advice on how to reduce the noise put out by these things?
First would be to isolate were the rattle is. If it is the ends of the flames you may try bending them out a bit, if it is the shield/clamp/pipe you may be able to put a little heat shield material under/between the shield and the clamp or a variation of it.

let us know how it turns out.

If someone would do a tribal flame type I would probably order a set of those!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts