Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to order an intake. I have decided on the pro design but cant make up my mind on either the K&N or the foam filter. What are most of you running? Why did you decide on that filter? Which one provides better filtration? I live in Arizona & do most of my riding in the Dunes or Desert. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
im runing the K&N w outerwears, seems to work fine for me... I think i read on here somehwere that the K&N flow better, but the foams "filter" better. If anyone knows for sure, please correct me if im wrong!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I went with the K&N pretty tried and true filter used in just about any application on the planet.. Diesel's, racing, automotive, motorcycles, ect. ect.. Can really hear mine suckin in the air with the airbox lid off. Sounds like it could possibly suck your pants off.. LOL! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Go with the k&n, easier to clean, usually last longer and breathes better then foam.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have not been messing with dirt machines very long and most of my experience turning wrenches has been on sportbikes. I have yet to see a K&N make HP on a street machine, infact replacing my stock Yammy filter with a K&N netted a near 3hp loss! I am assuming the advantage here is better filtering ability and I can see where the K&N filter may keep dirt out better than a foam filter would. Thoughts ...

·
Registered
833 Posts
a k and n does not filter better than say a paper filter. most dealers will not warrenty a motor that has a k and n on it. they are built for more air flow with some filtration. i think the do their job but in my oppinion the pre filter is the most important. i had a foam filter and my bro had a k and n and we both were geting some fine sand in our carbs. but then we put on the outerwears and we have had no sand in the carbs since.

·
Registered
497 Posts
K&N with Outerwear for the sand and foam for dirt/dry trails etc. If you are in the dunes, that sand just never seems to come out of the foam completely when cleaning it.
CT Racing made the suggestion to us and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
RLJ3RD said:
I have not been messing with dirt machines very long and most of my experience turning wrenches has been on sportbikes. I have yet to see a K&N make HP on a street machine, infact replacing my stock Yammy filter with a K&N netted a near 3hp loss! I am assuming the advantage here is better filtering ability and I can see where the K&N filter may keep dirt out better than a foam filter would. Thoughts ...
Most of the increase is coming from the larger intake, not the filter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
pile0g00 said:
RLJ3RD said:
Anyone know who has the bigger opening Pro Design or GYTR???

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
RLJ3RD said:
pile0g00 said:
RLJ3RD said:
Anyone know who has the bigger opening Pro Design or GYTR???
No difference

·
Registered
37 Posts
i would go with the K&N. A prefilter is a MUST though. I have a GYTR filter as well for backup(in case I'm feeling lazy and don't want to clean my K&N) and it's pretty much the same thing as the K&N. You could always go with the GYTR, since it IS MADE by yamaha... :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts