Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I just found out that i got orders to Okinawa Japan and was wondering about taking my raptor there. i cant seem to find much info on this so any input would be great. thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know transportation will ship it in most circumstances, I have a few buddies who have taken theres with them to places like Germany, Alaska, and Hawaii. I can't imagine that Japan would be any different than those places. Good luck tho, I hear it's a great place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you PCS'ed with a quad or motorcycle before? If not, a quad can get packed up with your household goods. You just have to drain oil and fuel, and remove the battery. But mine got shipped with a dead battery in it, just disconnected and oil. I drained my fuel before getting her packed up.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Is there going to be enough riding in Okinawa to justify going through the hassle of packing it in household goods? I could see if you were going someplace like Alaska or Hawaii, even Germany, but Okinawa seems like you would be severely limited. I guess I can't speak from experience personally. I guess the big thing is whether or not you have a place you can store it stateside while you are OCONUS. If not, then this plays a big role in your decision. How long are orders for Okinawa, a year?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Overseas are usually 2 years. You can extend, that depends on the branch. I know Air Force that was in Misawa for 10 years. I was a squid, didn't want to do 2 years, but extensions are possible depending on circumstances.

Okinawa is an island, never been there so don't know how big. Google maps would give you an idea.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Seems like over in japan they ride everything on the road so if anything it will be good transportation, plus then you can still get it out on your free time. :)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'm just wondering, if I remember correctly, my buddies that were on orders to Korea were only there for a year. I never got orders for Korea myself, so I'm just curious is all. (Army grunt)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hardship stations are only a year. There are (at least were, been out for 10 years now) a bunch of them. From what I've been told, it's boring as hell, but usually good way to save some money.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I actually think they've changed it a little bit recently (as in last two or three years), to where you can either go unaccompanied, or accompanied. The difference is length of tour though. If you take your family, obviously the tour length is longer, but I don't remember if it's two years or three. I do remember seeing some of the housing though in pictures, and it seemed pretty nice, but of course it was all brand new, so it should be, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah unaccompanied tours are only a year and thats usually to korea. im in the air force, and will be at kadena ab for 3 years. im doing a long tour there. i know i can ship it with house hold goods, but cant seem to find much information as to whether it will be worth the hassle of taking it over there and how much riding i will actually be able to do. everyone i know of thats been stationed there never looked into something like that so they have been of no help. go figure right haha. i was just hoping that someone on here might have some information on riding trails or anything on the island.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reading that brochure is too damn funny
yeah it is funny when they are talking about renting them and i am talking about taking my own over there. way to try to look smart over the internet. maybe you should try reading what im asking.

yeah i saw that track, but figured it was only for bikes, not so much quads. but i could be wrong. there really isnt specific information on it. so i guess i might just find out the hard way and have it shipped in my hhg and see how things go from there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yeah it is funny when they are talking about renting them and i am talking about taking my own over there. way to try to look smart over the internet. maybe you should try reading what im asking.

Wow you must not have read the brochure, i was laughing because they were talking about pushing the envelope with a 2002 raptor hope you enjoy your time over there try reading a little more before you go making assumptions smart guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts