Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I’m starting a thread to track the progress of my build. It’s been a long time since I’ve done a complete frame up build on something and the first time for a Raptor. I’m sure I will have questions and struggles along the way but I’m hoping the awesome input from you guys will make this build something special.

My bike 4 years ago bone stock!

My bike currently stripped ready for a ground up build:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts
You and I are in the same boat! I sent off my motor this past weekend. What are your plans? Going to gusset the frame by chance?
You can go to a dealer and see where the new frames have added gussets. Make the gussets with a relief in the corners and don't weld all the way in to the corner. Dress all the frame welds and splatter before sending for powder coat. Ask for a light dusting over the serial number and heavy on the frame where boots and pants rub. Don't forget motor mounts and other small misc.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
You can go to a dealer and see where the new frames have added gussets. Make the gussets with a relief in the corners and don't weld all the way in to the corner. Dress all the frame welds and splatter before sending for powder coat. Ask for a light dusting over the serial number and heavy on the frame where boots and pants rub. Don't forget motor mounts and other small misc.
I thought there used to be gusset kits. Be so much easier to just buy one, since I don't have the equipment to make them.

Sorry for the off topic stuff.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought there used to be gusset kits. Be so much easier to just buy one, since I don't have the equipment to make them.

Sorry for the off topic stuff.

I hadn’t thought of it but now that you mention it I’m going to look into gussets for the frame. If you do it on your build post some pictures in this thread. I’d love to see it! The motors out being built by Racers Edge now. Dez I think convinced me to stay stock bore and shoot for 70hp or so this time around. Full motor cryo treated this time too. Cammy maybe we can help each other on the builds

·
4,451 Posts
I hadn’t thought of it but now that you mention it I’m going to look into gussets for the frame. If you do it on your build post some pictures in this thread. I’d love to see it! The motors out being built by Racers Edge now. Dez I think convinced me to stay stock bore and shoot for 70hp or so this time around. Full motor cryo treated this time too. Cammy maybe we can help each other on the builds

Agreed! I've been searching all day for gussets, the only thing I'm coming up with is Bare Racing and they only made them for 660s. But did mention trying to do 700s.

My last was a stock bore racers edge and it was a monster for a 686 on pump gas. More than likely going to go that route again but bigger head next time around.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed! I've been searching all day for gussets, the only thing I'm coming up with is Bare Racing and they only made them for 660s. But did mention trying to do 700s.

My last was a stock bore racers edge and it was a monster for a 686 on pump gas. More than likely going to go that route again but bigger head next time around.

Sweet! Yeah I’m having them go +2 on the valves and I think I’m sticking with my 50mm tb for now even though they suggested going to 54mm. I just can’t justify the $800 price bump for a new tb and injector. If you find anything on the frame lemme know. I’ll keep you guys posted each step of the way

·
Registered
206 Posts

Sweet! Yeah I’m having them go +2 on the valves and I think I’m sticking with my 50mm tb for now even though they suggested going to 54mm. I just can’t justify the $800 price bump for a new tb and injector. If you find anything on the frame lemme know. I’ll keep you guys posted each step of the way

Why are you going +2 on a sb/ss?

·
10,292 Posts

Don't blame me, if you want big bore just do it, lol. Check with Cuervo if you want sb/ss closer to 80HP. His builds won more races at Bako then RE.

Make your own gussets. Get some 1/8in x 1in flat bar from your local home improvement store. Make some cardboard templates and trace onto the metal, cut with a hacksaw. Bevel the edges if you have a grinder, but not really necessary if it's welding to round bar frame.

·
10,292 Posts

Check with Joshua Moore on facebook. He bores TB and makes a new throttle plate for around $75 plus shipping both ways. And you use the same rubber intake and FCI.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check with Joshua Moore on facebook. He bores TB and makes a new throttle plate for around $75 plus shipping both ways. And you use the same rubber intake and FCI.

Dez you’re a lifesaver! Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Don't blame me, if you want big bore just do it, lol. Check with Cuervo if you want sb/ss closer to 80HP. His builds won more races at Bako then RE.

Make your own gussets. Get some 1/8in x 1in flat bar from your local home improvement store. Make some cardboard templates and trace onto the metal, cut with a hacksaw. Bevel the edges if you have a grinder, but not really necessary if it's welding to round bar frame.

Haha you’re not the only one telling me not to go big bore. I’ve got a buddy that builds bikes all the time that told me to keep it stock bore if I wanted to keep the most reliability. As for gussets I’m gonna bust out the welder and make some. . Cammy I’ll keep you posted on what I come up with.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I thought I’d take a second and discuss what I did for the suspension. I ditched the reworked factory shocks and opted for a set of triple rate Motowoz shocks long travel. This time around I’m going Houser stem 1.25” with Fasst Flexx bars 14 degree sweep. For control arms I’m ditching the standard travel Houser +2 and going MGC Houser +2.25 long travel mx. Antivibe stems with Flexx are going to be a big change I’m hoping over stock. Parts should be in the next week or two, I’ll post up pictures as soon as they come in . Motowoz shocks have to be built so those should be here in 4-6 weeks. I have to give a huge thanks to Ken at KB Motorsports for helping make this possible! He gave me an incredible deal on the whole setup and spent over an hour with me on the phone figuring out the best setup!!

·
10,292 Posts
Send your TB and intake boot and he will open it up to the new bore size. I don't know how big you can bore a 50mm TB but he can tell you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Send your TB and intake boot and he will open it up to the new bore size. I don't know how big you can bore a 50mm TB but he can tell you.

I talked to him, super nice guy! For the build I’m doing it looks like the 50mm billet is plenty without sacrificing bottom end. This way I also don’t have to upgrade the injector. But for anyone considering upgrading a stock one he can go 44mm to 47mm. Nice little bump for the price!

Dez you’re like the voice of reason haha. I appreciate the help big time! I want to make sure I’ve got a reliable but powerful build this go around.

·
4,451 Posts
Alright so I thought I’d take a second and discuss what I did for the suspension. I ditched the reworked factory shocks and opted for a set of triple rate Motowoz shocks long travel. This time around I’m going Houser stem 1.25” with Fasst Flexx bars 14 degree sweep. For control arms I’m ditching the standard travel Houser +2 and going MGC Houser +2.25 long travel mx. Antivibe stems with Flexx are going to be a big change I’m hoping over stock. Parts should be in the next week or two, I’ll post up pictures as soon as they come in . Motowoz shocks have to be built so those should be here in 4-6 weeks. I have to give a huge thanks to Ken at KB Motorsports for helping make this possible! He gave me an incredible deal on the whole setup and spent over an hour with me on the phone figuring out the best setup!!

Kenneth is the bomb. I've ordered quite a bit from him. I've ran Motowoz and Fox personally like Fox more but the Motowoz were not set up for my weight and were a bit springy. Houser is the bees knees. Look into their pro bounce nerfs too, amazing pegs and the ball takes more vibration out than you'd think.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kenneth is the bomb. I've ordered quite a bit from him. I've ran Motowoz and Fox personally like Fox more but the Motowoz were not set up for my weight and were a bit springy. Houser is the bees knees. Look into their pro bounce nerfs too, amazing pegs and the ball takes more vibration out than you'd think.

He really is the bomb! I could have bought the top of the line Fox Floats for $25 less than the Motowoz but I’m partial to coil overs haha. Since they are being tuned to my weight I’m hoping they are a huge improvement over the reworked factories.

I’m thinking before I finish the build Cammy I’ll get the pro bounce nerfs, but I have to see where I’m at on budget first haha.

·
4,451 Posts
He really is the bomb! I could have bought the top of the line Fox Floats for $25 less than the Motowoz but I’m partial to coil overs haha. Since they are being tuned to my weight I’m hoping they are a huge improvement over the reworked factories.

I’m thinking before I finish the build Cammy I’ll get the pro bounce nerfs, but I have to see where I’m at on budget first haha.

I know how that goes. I'm going light on the motor and heavy on suspension this go around.

I don't blame you on the coils, where I ride I'm never more than 5-8 miles from my pickup so being stranded with a blown shock isn't much of a deal breaker for me. The negative side to the floats is every single time you go out to ride you have to air them up and check pressure, so very tedious but then again they can be tuned for any terrain within 30 mins.

Don't get me wrong I really did like my motowoz, loved the rear motowoz on the bike in my avatar and it wasn't even sprung for my weight either. I could jump as high as I wanted and rail over whoops as fast as I dared with the rear motowoz and it would eat it all up like nothing was there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What cam are you going to be running?

Haven’t fully decided but it’s either going to be a 5050 or Hotcam

1 - 20 of 119 Posts