Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I tore down the bike just like the shop manual suggested to change out the steering stem. I had NO Idea that I would have to take it this far down. Even the gas tank had to come off. Maybe for some people it is common, but for me, this is extreme. I am going to install a Houser +1 stem and a set of Faast bars. I will post when (and if) I get it back together. :)

Question: The small 0 rings that go around the stem, at the top both are split, does anyone know if this comes OEM or is it coincidental that mine are BOTH cut? :help:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for verifying that for me Geisick, On the same note, where should the split be when I reinstall the stem? I would assume pointing forward or backwards, away from where the clamps come together? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Last night I tore down the bike just like the shop manual suggested to change out the steering stem. I had NO Idea that I would have to take it this far down. Even the gas tank had to come off. Maybe for some people it is common, but for me, this is extreme. I am going to install a Houser +1 stem and a set of Faast bars. I will post when (and if) I get it back together. :)

Question: The small 0 rings that go around the stem, at the top both are split, does anyone know if this comes OEM or is it coincidental that mine are BOTH cut? :help:
Damn dude I guess you did tear it down !! The only thing I did was remove the front plastic, front bumper (for a little more arm room) and just un-bolt the tank to slide it a little......Good luck with your install, you are going to like the Houser.. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike, do you have the houser? and if so do you have the anti vibe clamp? did it help with the choppy ride?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Thanks Mike, do you have the houser? and if so do you have the anti vibe clamp? did it help with the choppy ride?
Yes on the Houser and clamp, no on the chop.....The clamp I noticed cleans up a lot of the vibration and "buzzing" in the bars.....To get rid of chop and improve your ride I'm thinking 1) better shocks 2) steering damper...Shocks being the biggest improvement, and the damper to keep the bars from getting yanked out of your hands..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
digitalhearing said:
I completed the job last night except for a few adjustments. It was a pretty easy Mod, I just took plenty of time and for once did everthing as the book said. Now I can't wait to RIDE :) :thumbsup:
Nice, great job !! 8)

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, another Nice upgrade.

And Again, by all of your answers to my beginner questions, it was a tremendous help.

700R's Rule !! especially when you throw some money at them !!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks good, you can call Fasstco and have them send you a black pad cover if you want instead of the Gray. They all come with Gray now, but they used to give you a choice. I hear they will send it for free.

You will love it, like we talked about.

Keep us up to date as to how much you love it. Does the ride height work for you, is it close to stock being a +1? I know the +2 and the Fastco bars is 1 1/2" over stock.

Again Congratulations, replacing it was a PITA for me too, but in the end it turns out great.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Very nice! I plan on doing the Flexx bars too. I guess that is a good time to do the stem too.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Desert Racer said:
Looks great man! :thumbsup: After about 10 hour's you may want to tear everything back down and retighten it.
Thanks for the compliment but.......

Holly Shit are you kiding me??

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nope I went prerunning a course and about half way in the bars were loose and the nut on the stem was loose as well. I had tighten everything down and used a crap load of loctite during the install. Since then I tore everything down and tighten everything down again. Has been rock solid since. Now have about 30 hours on in and everything has held up.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm really looking forward to tearing everything down again......not.. :(

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I had to do in the middle of no were with little to no tools. tried to two it back wasn't happening I turned one way bike went the other way. There was no way of getting a yruck back there either.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Desert Racer said:
I had to do in the middle of no were with little to no tools. tried to two it back wasn't happening I turned one way bike went the other way. There was no way of getting a yruck back there either.
I know what your saying, my friends used to call me anal with my bike prep, and thats the reason why......Nothing is worse than breaking down in the middle of the woods......Thats why before I commit to any long trail rides I'll be making a few "shake down" runs just to make sure all my mods are all good !! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Same here I check everything the night before the run then double check everything before loading up. Sucks when your bike is broke on the trail.

I just got done installing everything after 4 long months. Three months I couldn't do anything thanks to me wrecking and a nother month sorting out what all would work with each other. After I got down putting everything together took it out for a hour. Everything felt good retighten everything once more for my big trip. Then bam I have little to no steering.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if the locktite kept it from getting tight and actually backed off the nuts? I wouldn't think it should loosen up that much only after a short time?,,,i'm glad it's staying tight now :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts