Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I brought home a really clean 660. He hasn't run it in about 2 years, but he said he drained the gas out of the carb, and the battery is dead. So I got home, drained the gas tank, jumped it off my 350s battery, and it started. Gears changes aren't feeling to strong, but it needs an oil change so that might solve it. Here's the problem, it backfires and bogs a bit on deceleration. And it stalled on me when I was sitting. It idles well and everything but there is that popping. (It's not jetting, because everything is stock, exhaust an intake, etc.) So does it need a carb rebuild or what? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
+1, carb cleaning and that should all go away.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, no rebuild needed right?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would take the carbs off and clean them real good. It dont take much to clog them up. If it ran good before it was stored there is no reason it shouldnt run good now besides some dirt or bad gas clogging up your carbs. Good luck. =)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
a rebuild just gives you everything that needs to be cleaned....so its a time vs money thing which do you want to spend more of?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, should I replace the O-ring that goes around the float bowl, or if the stock one is good should I leave it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I have a question, the wire next to the parking brake is disconnected. he said it broke off on a branch. Could this be causing the backfiring and all that?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Ok, so I have a question, the wire next to the parking brake is disconnected. he said it broke off on a branch. Could this be causing the backfiring and all that?
not likely...you can follow the wire down to a connector by the rad and disconnect it. try it again like that and see if its any different

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought a rebuild kit for mine and the float bowl gaskets were crap. I made them work when new but the 1st time I took the bowl off the gaskets were swollen up and would not go back in the grove. I went and got new ones from yamaha and never had any problems. But like stated above the kit has all new stuff in it so its worth the cash.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright I'll give those things a shot. I ordered a battery, and i'm gonna wait for that to came in. I don't wanna keep jumping it off my 350. Does anyone think something like Gumout will work, or does it definitely need a cleaning.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
clean it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, and the seller said the axle nut was loose. The reaer rotor has some play in it. Is it as simple as just tightening it or what?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
did you get the carb lined out? might wanna tackle one problem at a time.
back the set screws out on the nuts and torque them to whatever their specs are. if you dont know i suggest you download the manual from one of the stickies. the rotor could be loose on the hub so make sure its tight on the hub. didnt you say your dad owns a yamaha shop?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
What color is that loose/broken wire, please?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts