Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a dobeck Fuel controller and im not to happy with it.. so im going to up my fuel controller to something way better.. iv heard that power commander is the way to go ... but i asked around and iv been told that the new Piggyback Fuel Controllers are the way to go now.. that people are changing out the power commanders for these.. is this true? how could i get the most performance from a fuel controller? i dont mind spending the $600+ it costs for this

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Piggyback is not a brand, but rather a type. A piggyback device does not replace the factory ECU, but rather modifies some aspect of the signals to the ECU (via the Map for instance on a PCV or the buttons and potentiometers on a dobeck). The power commanders and indeed your Dobeck are all considered piggyback controllers.

There are options out there to replace the factory ECU, but quite frankly it's far more complicated and expensive than most non-racers would care to get into.

I would suggest replacing your HMF branded Dobeck with a Power Commander V and go from there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe im wording this wrong... ill find out more.. i think he said it was an ecu/efi replacement box..

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Replacing the factory ECU is possible, as I stated there are a couple options for it but it's not a cookie cutter application that bolts in and goes just yet, at least not to my knowledge.

You would have more control, but I don't see where that control is worth the cost and hassle involved in the system. Some of the drag and hillshooter machines have switched to aftermarket ECUs with either fuel injection or carbeuration but it's nowhere near standard practice nor is it something you'd benefit significantly from IMO. There are perhaps a dozen or two these machines I'm aware of, out of the 20,000 or so members here on these boards.

Your source is correct, there is another level beyond the PCV but unless you have big plans for going very, very fast I don't think that you don't need it and I don't think you would particularly want it either.

Edit:

Here's a link to one that English Racing is working on. I know that DL700 sells a carbeurated setup, and that xtreme motor works has also mentioned offering a standalone ecu but I am not clear on if that is currently available for sale. From what I understand (I'm not particularly in touch with the latest happenings or offerings so I very well could be out of the loop) there isn't a "kit" out there right now for an aftermarket Raptor 700R ECU running with fuel injection that bolts in and heads straight to the dyno. There have been a number of machines put together running microsquirt systems though.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=917225

1 - 4 of 4 Posts