Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A. Why do they put a cap over the pilot jet screw?

B. Other than drilling it out, is there a trick to getting it out with the carb installed on the bike?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
A. In these days of emissions the carbs are adjusted lean, then caped to prevent tampering.

B. Sometimes you can drill and run a screw in and pull the cap out. Use a claw hammer or wonder bar for leverage. On come carbs, there is sacrificial metal around the cap that can be broken to access cap removable.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken a lot of carbs apart, and I like this unit. Pretty user friendly. One of the float bowl screws was torqued by godzilla though, which required dremeling the screw into a flat head and using the impact screwdriver. I found the float to be over a 1/4" low, which is why the bike was hard starting and took a long time to heat up enough to go. All of the screw caps I have removed before were aluminum. This cap appears to be brass and has a hole in the center of it.

Getting the carb out of the 125 was a chore though. The design of the intake hose to the air cleaner housing required much man-handling and beers. I installed a K&N, not so much for performance, but rather to get away from the dreaded chore of cleaning and oiling the foam filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts