Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys below is my gfs bike i was wonder on something
You see how the cuffs on the paddles dont line up with the other cuffs is it suppost to be like that or is it better to even them out so there the same ???
and how do i go about fixing that and making them even

Thanks corey

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to keep them lined up because one wheel should be going slower than the other in a turn. I don't know if quads work like that or not though.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to keep them lined up because one wheel should be going slower than the other in a turn. I don't know if quads work like that or not though.
Not on a solid axle;) to the OP I don't know if it makes a difference but it does look better but I'm not a paddle expert as I only have ran paddles once.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I say they should line up because if your launching or doing a wheelie your going to pull hard to one side

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hahaha yeah like dog said, not with a solid axle :D
I say they should line up because if your launching or doing a wheelie your going to pull hard to one side
+1 on that...

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
There is no consequence to having the paddles offset, some say its better when launching. The only reason I try and keep mine lined up is because at LS you have to ride a little bit of blacktop to the gate so its easier on my back :lol:. And your tires spin on the wheels.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is no consequence to having the paddles offset, some say its better when launching. The only reason I try and keep mine lined up is because at LS you have to ride a little bit of blacktop to the gate so its easier on my back :lol:. And your tires spin on the wheels.....
+1, much nicer on pavement in loading areas. It also helps them sit a bit more level when you put them on a trailer, or when you store them for an extended amount of time it won't squish or deform one of the paddles. (not that it would due serious damage)

You should be fine either way.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
if the left paddle digs in before the right thats going to throw the bike to the right isn't it?

·
Master of the Electron
15,520 Posts
It evens out, you get traction left, then immediately thereafter, right... If I were setting up for maximum traction, I might consider staggering them, putting one side exactly half way between the other, so at least one paddle is always in the sand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See to me that dont make sence cause then ud only have one tire launching instead if you have them even its 2 cuffs pushing the bike instead of 1

Idk what to do thats y i askd you guys the experts

ps we drag most of the time if that has anything to do with how to set the paddles up

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
yeah it doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe if you have 12 or 14 paddles it wouldn't matter but if you have 8, then your getting more constant traction...just not even traction

·
Master of the Electron
15,520 Posts
So you're suggesting it's better to have both wheels hook up, then lose traction breifly (as the paddles come free) and then hook up again... causing a 'pulsing' in the acceleration; as opposed to left hook up and just before it comes free, right hook up, etc., etc..

I suggest that my way uses the power from the engine more efficiently and may actually get you more average energy coupled into the sand, therefore more acceleration.

Regardless of who's correct here, I think it would make for a great experiment.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
you might be correct once your moving but I think the launch might be flawed....I have a set but I only use them in the snow...

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
I use mine constantly and TRUST me there is nothing wrong with either way....I've dragged and won several times with tires both ways...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yah but one way has to be better thats what im trying to figure out lol
i can understand where maniac is coming from by always haveing one paddles pushing the quad but warrens idea makes since to cause u get both cuffs n the sand at the same time witch will launch the bike harder cause 2 cuffs seems better then 1 i think

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
There are a lot of factors that will determine if you have problems running them offset, but if you're not lurching one way or another on launch I would suggest not worrying about it. Often times they will move on the bead after you get them lined up anyway and you end up fighting a losing battle and waste parts of your day worrying about it and fixing it.

The benefit that may be gained from having one paddle in the sand all the time would likely be offset by the fact that the force vector would be cocked sideways slightly from the direction of travel and creates more friction by running straight, causing part of the forward force from the paddle's bite to be wasted.

If you had a high hp bike and were looking for that last edge, you'd want them aligned. I think what Tommy meant in his initial post in this thread was removing the hub from the axle spline, and using that position on the spline to fine tune the adjustment if you can't get close enough simply by rotating the wheel on the 4 bolt hub.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts