Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt remember if I ever posted this here or not .. but I thought it would be something fun to throw up to pass some time since its so stinkin cold and cant ride this time of year ! lol :'(

·
Registered
252 Posts
So . . .how much power did it make with what mods?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
five different pipes were tested overall for sound, performance. Fit and finish .
Ill go dig up all the info and post it . Too much to retype. lol

·
Registered
836 Posts
Why do you have 5 different exhausts to just test? lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
How many db's was the big gun. I've been wondering since I bought it. Our series is strict with the db level.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you have 5 different exhausts to just test? lol
something that hadnt really been doen. We wanted to see how much differences there was in them all.
We wanted to test about 17 pipes, but it was too hard and expensive to spend the time on the Dyno shop .:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again we tested DB ,fit and finish as well as seen what each pipes overall performance is for different rider applications.
We were excited to do this so we could do something UNBIAS and hopefully informative
Pipes were the following :
RAGE
Looney Tune
Motoworks
FMF
HMF
Big Gun

I will say that having the FCR Carb was worth the upgrade for the tuneability alone and can roughly expect gains of 2 HP over stock Carb on a built motor.

There are a thousand variations to each persons application, this is with ours and our findings were 100% UNBIAS. Which is why we wanted to do it .
IT was cool hearing al lthe different pipes ! Some sweet sounds !!
We spent an entire day testing out 6 pipes and also formed a baseline with the stock pipe as well. Hard to completely tell on the sound of the pipes with the eco of the buidling itself but they all sounded sweet!!
Our favorite sound was from the Looney Tunes and Big Gun- HMF was 3rd. The Rage pipe sounds mean but would never pass sound in our racing series .
I will say that ALL the pipes dynoed very close. Each pipe should fit a riders demends for his or her application.
Each riders application and dyno will vary .
We also dynoed to a RACERS application not to suck every single ounch of power to the brink of blowing it up to get our numbers. We have no doubt that we could squeeze another 4-5 hp this way but we have no reason for that. This was just to show an instance of what we have and tuning for racing conditions .This is to being informative and bias application. We thought this might be a great piece of info that will hopefully benefit many when making choices . If we tuned to that, we could reach 28HP respectively.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill post the Dyno charts at the end ... these are ALL FULL SYSTEMS EXHAUSTS....

Motorworks-

95-96db tested at approx 2500 rpm (WORCS sound testing)
AMA 98db 4000rpm
No sparky
Motoworks used the most fuel of all pipes tested
fairly good sound,fairly good fit. fairly easy to install.

Big Gun

96db 2500 rpm (WORCS sound testing)
98-99 AMA testing at 400 rpm
sweet trick looking pipe and sounded awesome !
the only problem we ran into Big Gun is they will not fit with Rath hell guards.
fit well, faily easy to install

HMF

EASIEST OF ALL PIPES TO TUNE !
98db (WORCS)
100db (AMA)
this was tested with no quiet core
beautiful pipe (Comp series )
install was easy and very durable .pipe was tested the entire 2010 season and still looks like new

FMF
quietest of all the pipes and great performer !
92 db ! good job FMF ! (WORCS)
96 db (AMA)
fit and finish was easy
Not as blingy as the other pipes above tested

cont...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RAGE

100 db (WORCS)
104 db (AMA)
fit needed a slight adjustment we could not fully fix for the dyno testing but would not be too much trouble to fix for permanent fitting.
not as blingy as the above mentioned pipes .
good performer but would not pass sound requirements for WORCS if tested
We suspected being a shorter pipe it would be louder ,but does sound mean !

Our final pipe was Looney Tune Exhaust.
TRICK LOOKING pipe and sounds awesome !
99db WORCCS
104 AMA
great performer .
We had problems fitting this pipe as it wouldnt clear the frame rails. We contacted LTE and am assuming somethings been changed now as I have seen this exhaust on a Raptor 250 at the track.

DB testing is fairly accurate, due to any echo in testing area DB's could be off my approx. 1DB.

As you will see on the Dynos, ALL pipes were VERY CLOSE ! We were very shocked to see just how close actually !
In our analysis, we found the HMF to have the slight upper edge and wins our exhaust of choice . We sent our finsing to all of the above companies and thanked them all for a chance to test . IT was alot of fun to see the outcome on a 250. ;-)

pipes were all tested on a 300 R&D motor with mild porting,foam fillter and custom cam -ready to race jetting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts