Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM GETTING MY PISTON AND HEAD BACK FROM CT RACING THIS WEEK. I DID THE HIGH OUTPUT KIT THAT CONSISTS OF CAM, PORT, POLISH, 5 ANGLE CONTOURED VALVE JOB, 12.5/1 PISTON AND ALL THE GASKETS. I TOOK THE MOTOR APART MYSELF AND IT SEEMED EASY. MY QUESTION IS, ARE THERE ANY TRICKS OR THINGS I SHOULD DO OR WATCH OUT FOR WHEN RE-INSTALLING. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cant offer any help I'm afraid...you took yours apart and thats more than I feel comfortable doing just yet...but I am dying to hear a report back on the performance gains! Be sure to let us know how it performs once you get it all back together and test it out. Good luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like a big job. It's a good thing you are semi-retired and have lot's of time to get it together for our Christmas trip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LHCRAPPY said:
I AM GETTING MY PISTON AND HEAD BACK FROM CT RACING THIS WEEK. I DID THE HIGH OUTPUT KIT THAT CONSISTS OF CAM, PORT, POLISH, 5 ANGLE CONTOURED VALVE JOB, 12.5/1 PISTON AND ALL THE GASKETS. I TOOK THE MOTOR APART MYSELF AND IT SEEMED EASY. MY QUESTION IS, ARE THERE ANY TRICKS OR THINGS I SHOULD DO OR WATCH OUT FOR WHEN RE-INSTALLING. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...
make sure you check your ring gap i did not do that on my 660 and it smoked real bad

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HEY WHO'S THIS HEADINGNORTH GUY. I THINK HE NEEDS TO CHANGE HIS NAME BECAUSE IT SOUNDS KIND OF QUESTIONABLE TO ME... :lol: :nana: MAYBEE WE SHOULD HOLD A POLE TO GIVE HIM SOME SUGGESTIONS.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quit worrying about the name and get your bike done. You won't look good on your daughters quad..........

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea your wright, but even on my daughters quad, you will still have to wear you goggles :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Heres a couple of pointers: stuff a rag inside your motor while you are placing the jug back on just to prevent any crap or parts from falling down the bottom half. install your piston into the cylinder prior to installing it on the rod also install one of the pin locks then insert pin and other lock, this was just easier for me, lube your cylinder with a thin layer of oil to aid in the installation, the larger diameter bolts go on the jug, the smaller diameter go on the head not to mention the longer ones go on the left side (standing behind the bike looking forward).

·
Registered
177 Posts
This may seem ridiculously obvious but don't attempt it w/o a ring compressor. (Some people do.) Proper tools make all the difference. The second piston pin lock is always the tough one so having a second set of hands to hold the jug will make a huge difference if you're going to do that after getting the jug over the rings. I've never done it in that order, it seems unwieldy to me (probably because I never had anybody around to hold the jug).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts