Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Pistons - What brand and what ratio are you guys running?

2) Cam - What cam and any work good with stocker springs?

Nothing crazy - woods machine, don't want to run race gas, don't want to replace crank (yet :grin_nod: )

·
Registered
815 Posts
11:1 Weisco Piston
Web Cam - Stage 1 (works with stock springs) Stage 2 (need HD spring kit)

I have the 11:1 Weisco Piston, stage II cam (and spring kit), and Extreme head port...I run mix of 91 and 113 octane...
they say that with the 11:1 piston you CAN run just 91 or 93 octane, and be just fine...

Plattner

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

One more simple question. I've heard the cylinder walls are coated. I'm assuming if I replace the stock piston right away I shouldn't need to hone or do anything to the cylinder. Correct? I have a 0 hour raptor being delivered to my dealer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would go with the 11-1 piston and stage 2 or 3 cam with a spring kit. This will give you a very broad power band. If you use the stage 1 cam the power runs flat very fast. I can get you any setup you may need.

Thanks
Sand Demons Motorsports
530 832 1065 or 530 927 9827
(1 877 GOT DYNO) toll free # coming soon

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Chicagoland Atv said:
Thanks for the quick response.

One more simple question. I've heard the cylinder walls are coated. I'm assuming if I replace the stock piston right away I shouldn't need to hone or do anything to the cylinder. Correct? I have a 0 hour raptor being delivered to my dealer.

Correct, I would not do a thing to the cylinder other than clean it and put a light film of oil on it. Moding a 0 hour raptor, I love it. Have fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can run 89 with only 11:1 no problems either. My Z400 stock was 11:1, and I upped it to 12.3:1 and still ran fine with 89. The motorcycle version of the engine has the 12.3:1 and manual states 89. With the rappie's 9:1, you could get away with 80.. lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm going with wiesco 11.1 and megacycle x1 no porting. Should be a perfect set up for the woods. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
As far as drop ins go the mega has more lift which means more bottem punch and thats what I like. There's alot to look at when chooseing a cam. Lift, duration,lobe seperation,ect. More duration means the power is higher in the rpm range. Also the closer the lobe seperation more in the bottem of rpms.the further apart more in the top. I built a KFX 800 with a fst stage 2 cam and my buddy built a 785 with a stage three that more duration than the 2. I really liked the way the power delivery was on mine more than his because it fits my rideing style. His is a screamer but his power comes on from the mids to the top. But damn it is bad ass. 8)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
So what is the better brand as far as reliability. Megacycle, web cam, hot cam??

Wht is the difference between the Stage 1 from company to company, and the same for stage 2.

I want it to be a beast on the bottom still but with more through the mid-to-top.

So listening to everyone the way to go sounds like 11:1 JE piston, a Stage 2 cam (unsure which brand- looking for high quality), what brand of valves/springs - I have heard of either stainless or titanium (which is better?) (Also black diamond).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Im not going with stage 2 because I will be doing a lot of riding and I dont want to have to go back in there and fix anything with a stage 2 because of what I read of reliability.

And I believe its just that some companys stage 1 has more life than the other. Im not really concerned about bottum end because my barkers and 11.1 piston will make up for that.

So my question is which will give me more mid-top. Hotcams or Webcams?

Here are the specs I got out another thread. Thanks for any help. I'll see if I can find specs for Webcams. Edit .. got specs for webcams

all specs @valve with .040 lift

Stock 700 rappy
lift duration
in. 386 237
ex. 347 235

Webcams
lift duration
In. 383 280
Ex. 362 278

Megacycle x1
lift duration
in. 420 246
ex. 385 244

Hot cams stage 1

in. 378 253.5
ex. 339 243

Hoy cams stage 2 So pretty much the only difference between stage 1 and 2 hot cams is that
there is more intake valve lift on a stage 2 that's it.
in. 405 253.5
ex. 339 243

·
Registered
262 Posts
the one that has the most duration will move the power up in the rpm range. with more lift the valve opens more but not as long. a quick punch so to speak. With more duration the valve is open longer so the engine builds power the more it revs. By looking at the specs the web will give you more in the higher rpms. If you'l notice the lift isn't even as much as stock but it alot more duration (the valve stays open longer) Lobe seperation plays a big part but most cams for quads run pretty close on that until you get into custom grinds and such. With a high lift short duration the power is sudden and strong but falls off. with good lift big duration the power is soft then hits hard and carrys out. It's all in what you want and how you ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
So the Megacycle has more lift and duration than stock. So does this mean better low end snap and better high end pull (not the best though)?? If not then I am confused..That seems to be the one that has the best of both worlds. That or the Hot cam Stage 2 but they are opposite in which they do best.

Also is Megacycle good quality? Or as good as the others? All I can find is Web cams. What are each of them made of?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yea the x1 has more of both but on a percentage has more lift than duration. The x2 has alot more of both. With x1 you get a decent gain all throught the power but not huge.The x2 is going to be a top end screamer probably not suited for the woods or atleast my style of woods rideing. Like I said when you build a engine you need to set down and ask yourself what your going to be doing with it,where are you rideing, and where do you want the most power. If you want good bottem and an accational drag race the x1 will do or another cam close. If you want maximum power and kick everyones ass in a drag then the x2 or a custom grind would be better. With my buddys 785 Vforce. FST stage three cam(lots of duration) 12.1 compression.full race porting,LTE duals. No body can touch him in a drag but to me it's not fun in the woods. I'ts like a light swith. It's on or off. but when it's on...............DAMN. :eek: :eek: :eek: 8)

As far as quality I don't know yet. Waiting on a phone call to pull my down and do the swap. The way I see it they got people waiting almost two weeks to get the cam so they must be doing something right. :thumbsup: Some cams like some of the crowers are a regrind. they just take some off of the back side of the cam to acheive lift on the front. but most are a hard welded then ground cam. I think the new web is a billet which simply means it's a soild peice of steel thats cut down into a cam. But that doesn't make it the best for performance maybe on durabuility a little. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Thanks for the info but still a little hazy on what the megacycle X1 cam is made of. I am pretty sure this is the performance I am looking for though, riding primarily woods - alot of tight stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
With a high lift short duration the power is sudden and strong but falls off. with good lift big duration the power is soft then hits hard and carrys out. It's all in what you want and how you ride.

Haven't experienced that on my 780 with the megac cycle X2 with short duration high lift and tight lobe centers. It has explosive acceleration over a broad range and produces a ton of torque, doesn't start falling off till high in RPM range. I think the correct porting to go along with the camshaft profile and the compression ratio are all key ingredients.

IMHO out of the cam specs Ice4me listed the X1 is going to have the best performance over the broadest range and produce the best TQ numbers.
It will work well with lower compression as higher duration bleeds off low speed cylinder pressure and will make it soft on the bottom. At least that has been my experience.

As far as quality and longevity goes if you keep your oil changed and the valves adjusted you will get plenty of life out of any of the cams.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
Thanks, I am really thinking of going with the11:1 piston and X1 cam. Will it help or hurt to do bigger valves and heavy springs.

I don't think it will hurt you any. I always run the springs that the cam mfg reccomends. They say you can run the X1 with the stock springs but I would talk to mega cycle and see what they reccomend for seat pressure and open pressure at full lift. You do not want excessive spring pressure, it will rob power and cause premature wear. They want their product to work well for you so I would talk to them and see what they say regarding a spring upgrade.

Randy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.