Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, I have a 2006 raptor 700 and love it. I am going to put valve seals and guides in and figured i might as well do a pison while the head is off, right now i have a hotcam stage 2, standard barkers and proflow with pc3. My question is what kind of pistion should I get to suit my needs, all i do is mostly trail ride and would want to keep it reliable, so what does everyone suggest?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
TQS 11.5:1 looks like a nice piston. It's made by CP and is setup to run big cam's and valves if you chose to do so one day.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
hello all, I have a 2006 raptor 700 and love it. I am going to put valve seals and guides in and figured i might as well do a pison while the head is off, right now i have a hotcam stage 2, standard barkers and proflow with pc3. My question is what kind of pistion should I get to suit my needs, all i do is mostly trail ride and would want to keep it reliable, so what does everyone suggest?

I'd find out why your seals and guides wore out before completing the re-build. I'd look for cracks in the filter and check the boot between the throttle body and head for cracks. Somehow dirt got through the filter or by passed it all together to ruin your guides and seals. if you not able to find the source to the problem no modification in the future will be reliable.

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/engine/pistons/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd find out why your seals and guides wore out before completing the re-build. I'd look for cracks in the filter and check the boot between the throttle body and head for cracks. Somehow dirt got through the filter or by passed it all together to ruin your guides and seals. if you not able to find the source to the problem no modification in the future will be reliable.

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/engine/pistons/
thanks, i checked it all out and there isn't anything getting in from the filter, no cracks or leaks in the boot either, the bike has a good amount of hours on it. The smoke isnt bad but i want to have it right and might as well do a rebuild all at one time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
KB Motorsports
Can you clarify on that? he is talking about replacing the valve stem seals? i am a little confused as to how a leaky intake could affect that? his bike smokes on startup, then as the bike warms up it goes away and you can't even smell it behind him. also the 11.5 compression piston how long wil they last before they need to be rebuilt? i know the OP and we both have 700, he wants a piston that will last a few years Thanks. Also would you guys recommend CP or Wiseco?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
thanks, i checked it all out and there isn't anything getting in from the filter, no cracks or leaks in the boot either, the bike has a good amount of hours on it. The smoke isnt bad but i want to have it right and might as well do a rebuild all at one time.
Great!

KB Motorsports
Can you clarify on that? he is talking about replacing the valve stem seals? i am a little confused as to how a leaky intake could affect that? his bike smokes on startup, then as the bike warms up it goes away and you can't even smell it behind him. also the 11.5 compression piston how long wil they last before they need to be rebuilt? i know the OP and we both have 700, he wants a piston that will last a few years Thanks. Also would you guys recommend CP or Wiseco?
When dirt finds a way into the motor from the intake tract it passes through the intake valves and seals damaging those first, and eventually ruins everything including the piston rings and cylinder coating. I never had a personal problem with CP, Wiseco, or JE in the Raptor 700.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ok thanks, i just seem to think it may be from age or is it possible that the valve stem had build up on them, and when we put a stage 2 hot cam the extra lift caused the build up to to mess the seals up? thats the only thing i could think of the bike didnt smoke untill after the cam change. did the cam to my bike as well, mine didn't smoke. both bikes run great

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Our Tech 11.5:1 is a CP piston. The life of the piston varies greatly on your personal setup. Some guys get years out of 4 stroke pistons and some replace them every couple races.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
<--- happy with his 11.5 tech piston, good stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts